Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Temperature question

Go down 
+2
Mary
Diana
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Temperature question Empty
PostSubject: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 3:07 am

Ive noticed that the temp in both my tanks drops quite significantly overnight. In the big tank it goes down to about 25c which is just about acceptable, but in the small tank ( male betta and a small baby BN) the little digital thermometer (situated about 2" under the surface at the opposite end to the heater) goes down to about 23c. It seems to take nearly all day to get back up to anything reasonable, and at the moment (4pm) is reading 24.9.

The heater light is on constantly and is of the right size for this tank.

I dont know whether I should put a second heater in or would that be too much, or if the fish would be ok to be left? They do seem ok at the moment - active and eating etc, but I dont want to lose any because of frostbite to their fins!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 am

Are you sure your heater is working ok? I haven't noticed any significant drop in my tank temperature overnight as the thermostatic function kicks in when the water temperature drops below the set level. Temperature question 876616
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 4:49 pm

this very cold weather is having its effect on everything - i would just keep your eye on it diana and if it drops any more then maybe a faulty heater
hope things are ok soon

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Well I am guessing that it is working ok MAry, asthe light does go off when it comes up to temp, it just seems to be having hard work maintaining that. I suppose the sensiblke thing would be to get another heater.

Not today though as the now is falling deep and crisp and even again Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 pm

glad to hear its not a faulty heater diana - snowing like hell here too
i hate the stuff

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Just stay in and keep warm and safe dekks, it's due to last for a bit I think.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:48 am

If the wattage isn't high enough for the particular tank e.g. a 50W heater in a 100L tank then that might also explain it...Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Thats what I dont understand. Its the right size for the tank. I had to get up last night to let the dog out for a wee at 2am and the temp was fine then (26). When I got up at 8am though it had gone down to 23!

I am wondering if it is because I always sleep with my bedroom window open, even in really cold weather and as the tank is under the stairs it is more likely to be affected by the cold air coming in.

I might throw a duvet over it tonight to keep the temp a bit more stable
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 1:04 am

Mine's been going down a bit overnight too. I guess if you have a heater that is just on the limit for your tank it hass to work all the time to maintain the water temp.

Does it do any good to have two heaters in a tank?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 am

My big tank has been at 22 for about a month :S Added an extra heater and it's up to 24 now.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 11:15 am

OK - in theory - larger tanks hold temp better - at least should be more stable

You all need to realise that actually - large and very large fluctuations in water temp on a daily basis is actually quite normal - some fish will breed as a result of a temp drop like this (especially after a water change, corys are a good example)

Now down ere in deepest darkest devon - tghe weather hasnt been too bad (comparativly speaking) - and whilst I hate central heating - ive turned it on in my fish room - a stable room ttemp will help maintain a temp in the tanks

Open the hoods as little as possible - cut down on feeding (as fish motabolism slows with cold water - they feed less- they dont eat to keep warm like mammals do)

Cover the tank hood and back n sides with either kitchen foil - or get radiator backing from a diy store to cover the tank - then add some old blankets, towels etc (even sheets of newspaper will do) to act as insulation.

Dont bother leaving lights on - i doubt theyd add too much to the water temp over all and will actually probably add to the excuses for algea to grow.

TBH - Unless your fish are visibly suffering as a result - I wouldnt panic about it - 23deg c wont kill em in the short term - its not like youve allowed the the temp to get to say 18 deg c (ie gold fish temp)

In my main tank (200liter) I have 2x 150w heaters, one nr the inlet for the filters and one at the opposite end beneth the water return pipes

My 35litre fighter tank has 1x 50w and the 65liter has 1x 150w - all is stable at 24/25 deg c ('summer' temp of around 26)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temperature question   Temperature question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Temperature question
Page 1 of 1