Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sorry, yet another question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Sorry, yet another question Empty
PostSubject: Sorry, yet another question   Sorry, yet another question Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 2:37 am

The fishless cycle is ticking along ok, no worries with that at the minute - but dont hold your breath! Very Happy I was wondering though are there any plants that would be ok with goldfish? I know they eat loads of plants so are there any that they wont eat but will look good too?

Also do they need to have extra oxygen in the tank if there are plants as I suppose the plants would take a lot of it would they?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, yet another question   Sorry, yet another question Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 7:57 am

Hiya carole. I am not sure about this but I think goldies eat most of the plants you can get. I think most people just keep artificial plants in the tank with them. i think you have to be careful as well what ornaments you put in with them coz they can damage theirselves on them quite easily.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, yet another question   Sorry, yet another question Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 8:26 am

Ive tried a few plants in my goldies tank carole and none of them have survived the experience so I have gib=ven up now. The only plants I do put in the tank now are some floating plants I have in my tropical tank. When they get a bit much I chuck a handful in with the goldies to increase their veggie intake :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, yet another question   Sorry, yet another question Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 8:30 am

The best plant for coldwater tanks is Egeria densa, commonly known as "Goldfish Weed". A very attractive plant but it has high light requirements. The Egeria in my tropical tanks was thriving until I added the floating plants and now it's all died back...banghead
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, yet another question   Sorry, yet another question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 7:10 am

Good plant site that Mary, best set out i have seen for a while tbh.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, yet another question   Sorry, yet another question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 7:35 am

It is indeed driver. It's not always easy to use it for identifying plants but if you need info on a specific species, it's a great source. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, yet another question   Sorry, yet another question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 12:20 am

Thanks for that linky Mary, and for the site too, I have spent hours reading about all the possible plants I could have. I would love to have some sort of groundcover plants, but am not sure if it is possible with goldies. More reading to do!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, yet another question   Sorry, yet another question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sorry, yet another question
Page 1 of 1