Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

help id this plec.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 4:28 pm

this is the newest addition to the tank.
i purchased him/her as a common plec but chose this one because of the different colour/markings
i did some research, could this be a leopard plec L-114?
i dont think you can see the markings in this pic, but s/he has a red tinge on the ends of all fins.
help id this plec. Image010
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 9:49 pm

hi biggreeny_101 that does not look like a common plec to me have a look on pleco fanatics they have a very good list of plec which should help, very nice looking plec though. I have a common plec (pic in gallery) and the markings are different if you paid for a common you have had a bargain well done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:30 pm

cool.
also a better pic to help.
help id this plec. Image011
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 12:37 am

That's a beautiful plec BG, could it be one of these?

http://www.plecofanatics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=20311&c=512
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 am

Lovely plec, BG. Definitely not a common plec. I don't think it's an L273 either Diana although it's a close resemblance. Have to wait for indigoj to get a definitive id, I think. Wink
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 10:11 am

he/she is only still a baby olny about 2 - 2/12 inch aprox 6 months old from what the lfs said.
i had a quick browse on planet catfish could this one be a L008????
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=179
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 am

Another possibility. I have to admit I'm rubbish at identifying plecs. It took weeks before two of mine were id'ed properly. Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Dont think it's that one BG.

If you look at the enlarged version of picture number 1 on this site it could be yours - thats a common plec. They apparently grow huge, so hope you have a big tank!

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/catfish/plecostomus.html

Where is indi when you need her?? Somebody go and tell her she's needed! Very Happy help
Back to top Go down

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:28 am

Fishfan wrote:
Dont think it's that one BG.

If you look at the enlarged version of picture number 1 on this site it could be yours - thats a common plec. They apparently grow huge, so hope you have a big tank!

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/catfish/plecostomus.html

Where is indi when you need her?? Somebody go and tell her she's needed! Very Happy help
A few years ago I had what I was told was a common plec it looked more like picture 4 even when it was small, it eventually grew to about 10 inches, was a bit devestated when that died Crying or Very sad. Until recently I didn't know their were so many different varieties. Sorry can't come up with anything better than those already suggested.
Back to top Go down

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:52 pm

What a lovely looking fish! Have you found out what it is yet?
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 7:54 am

not confirmed as yet. but verdict is looks a cross breed/hybrid
it is definatly from the pterygoplichthys genus, (same family as a common plec)
but.... as he/she is still young its very hard to tell exactly.
most feed back i have gotten has been either:
p.punctatus (does not have a L number?)
p.pardalis: common plec L021/L023
p.gibbiceps: sail fin pleco L083/L165
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=148
im leaning more towards gibby but i dont think im going to know completly for a while

Back to top Go down

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 1:13 am

sorry if you have mentioned it already BG, but do you have big tanks? Looking at some of the fish on planetcatfish they casn grow to quite a size! Shocked
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 am

im not sure if u would call a 4ftx18'x18' 240lts big med or small but i have been assured that 1 common plec willl do fine.
atm im actualy "baby sitting" 6 very large 6'-7' silver dollars for my lfs, after i take those guys back im not 100% sure on what im going to get. im actualy considering american cichlids. so more questions wll come about that.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 8:00 am

biggreeny_101 wrote:
im not sure if u would call a 4ftx18'x18' 240lts big med or small

That's big...bigger than anything I have anyway! crazy
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 8:31 am

evie123 wrote:
Looking at some of the fish on planetcatfish they casn grow to quite a size! Shocked

im pretty sure the bigger cats on there are actualy wild caught. i dont think "dont hold me to it as i have seen some ""HUGE"" fish in aquriums" they grow as big when raised in an aquarium?

but yeah im leaning towards some lager fish 2 or 3 max with the plec and im happy, its just the agrssion factor im curently looking into.
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 4:25 am

I have my common in my 4 foot tank, thats the reason I got it in the first place and he has grown at least 2 inches since he was put in there, he is about 12-13 inches at the moment. The female angel went for him last night and he chased her all over the tank lucky there is a lid or they would have both been on the floor.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 7:57 am

alison wrote:
The female angel went for him last night and he chased her all over the tank lucky there is a lid or they would have both been on the floor.

affraid
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 9:33 am

check out this on you tube
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXGRVVQ6x4
its a pleco fighting with a piranha,
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 10:06 am

Wow, brave - or foolhardy - plec!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 7:49 pm

He certainly seems to boss the tank doesnt he? I wonder if he is in there all the time or just for this vid - no bogwood in there was there?
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 8:51 am

did you ever find out for sure what it is? It's a great looking fish whatever it is?

Where's indi by the way, seems she hasn't been on for a while and she's the plec expert - she has millions of them.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:43 am

Fishfan wrote:
Where's indi by the way, seems she hasn't been on for a while and she's the plec expert - she has millions of them.

Problems with her BB connection. I'm sure she'll be back soon though. Smile
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 6:52 pm

i went back to the lfs, and from what they said, there wasnt suposed to be any common plecs in stock/ the tank i picked it from, it is supposed to be a lepord sail fin plec, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, L083/L165,
the outcome from the forum was mixed opinions; it could be a common/ sailfin and others or cross bred.
but no one is 100% because it is still so young.
but im happy anyway (its still an amazing pleco)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

help id this plec. Empty
PostSubject: Re: help id this plec.   help id this plec. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help id this plec.
Page 1 of 1