Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Babies are coming

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 12:57 am

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. one of our yellow labs has a mouthful of eggs. I will post a pic if I can get one cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 5:33 am

Yay well done!! Pics please Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 9:05 am

Ok, here is one, will keep trying to get more. She is hiding in a cave, ready for 3 weeks of fasting. You can see the big bulge in her throat

Babies are coming DSC_2129
Back to top Go down

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 pm

OMG! That is amazing!!!! I would love to have fish like that! What are you going to do with them all?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Oh that is great - this isn't the tank wth the whitespot is it?? I hope not, I am sooo looking forward to seeing how this goes on.

How long till they are hatched then??
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:59 pm

It is the tank with whitespot affraid

She will hold for about 3wks then into the kitchen tank to, hopefully spit them out. Moving her too soon can make her spit the eggs and not pick them back up again or she may swallow them. This will be her first brood so she is inexperienced too.
On the other hand she could also spit/swallow if she gets stressed by the other fish Mad

tardis wrote:
OMG! That is amazing!!!! I would love to have fish like that! What are you going to do with them all?

Well as long as some survive, i'll sell them on or swap them at the LFS. Might have to keep a couple as they're my first :lol: (well, hers..lol)

Last edited by on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:51 pm

Oh MC, I hope they're ok, that is such bad luck, what effect would the ich medi's have on all this, or is it all ok with eggs.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 12:03 am

Im hoping there will be no adverse effects. The yellow lab still seems to be holding the eggs in her mouth.
One of the other Aceii is showing signs of slowing down & not eating but as for whitespot, the very sick one only has one whitespot on his back. I don't think he's gonna last the day. No other fish have any signs/symptoms.
I'm waiting for a delivery of WS3, fingers crossed it comes tomorrow but i'm just wondering now if it's worth re-treating the whitespot...???
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 3:51 am

I think I would - only because I would be worried what effect any delay in treating could have - I know it's only 24hrs but it could take hold in that time and at the mo only one fish is badly affected.

Dosing the tank again would not do any harm to anything would it, so what have you got to lose?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:18 am

How cool is that? So does she stop feeding while she's brooding the eggs then?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Yes, bless her. When she's spat the fry, i'll keep her seperate for a few days to get her feeding and get her strength back up. Bit like us ladies really :lol:
I will try and get some more pics, she looks so sweet, like an old man chewing all the time! Soon we should be able to see the eyes so when that happens i'll get the camera out.

Last edited by on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 6:08 am

now i am confused can see the pics think i have gone blind pale
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 6:32 am

Here's a pic, she' not keeping very still

Babies are coming YellowLabFemale2

Last edited by on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 8:56 am

Well she's been fidgeting all day. I can see the fry moving right by her lips, just when i think she's gonna spit them out, she gobbles them back in. It's frustrating now, i don't do waiting scratch
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 8:59 am

Aaah, that's so cute. I would love to see that!
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 9:51 am

We're trying to get some pics of her or a little vid where she's munching but she sticks her head in a corner & we just can't get a pic :lol:

Here's a link to a short vid of someone stripping a yellow lab of her fry

Last edited by on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 9:58 am

wow cool isnt that bad for the fish tho and how many can they hold in their ?
Back to top Go down

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 am

munchycarrot wrote:
We're trying to get some pics of her or a little vid where she's munching but she sticks her head in a corner & we just can't get a pic :lol:

Here's a link to a short vid of someone stripping a yellow lab of her fry

I dont know about anyone else but I couldn't watch much of that vid! Why would that be necessary? It seems a bit cruel.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 10:35 am

A lot of people do it so they don't have to keep the mother seperate from the main tank. They strip them then put them straight back in.
It also means the mother doesn't need to starve as long.

I, personally wouldnt feel a need to do it... I will let nature do it.

She is pretty weak with not eating so will need to be fed up before she goes back into the main tank.
The amount they hold depends on the size of the fish and the experience of the mother. Ours is only 9 months old so this is her first batch of fry. I'm not expecting many at all from her.
Someone I know, had a much bigger, more experienced fish who spat out around 100 fry! Imagine what that must of looked like affraid
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 7:37 am

Well... she has had 2 babies, they are sooooooo cute. One of them already managed to nip through to the other side under the divider, Ben had to catch it & put it back! Lil monkey...

Babies are coming Lab01

Babies are coming Lab02
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 7:44 am

Arh cute aint they lol

she only had 2 ? she swallowed the rest then ?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 8:03 am

I think she was so small, she probably didn't have the room or experience to have more. She's only about 1½" herself, bless Wink
She's probably similar in size to a platty, imagine them holding babies in their mouths :face:
Back to top Go down

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 8:19 am

Ah, that's great MC. How long do they stay with the parents now then? Do they run the risk of getting eaten by them or do these fosh behave themselves as far as that is concerned?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 8:37 am

She will be very hungry as she hasn't eaten for 20 days. If she senses danger she will take them back into her mouth until it's passed. I don't want to take the chance with her being inexperienced. I have put a divider in the tank. She is now in one side & the fry in the other so they can't disappear into the filter or her belly.
She is quite weak so will leave her there to settle & we can feed her up. When we re-introduce her to the main tank, hopefully she will blend back in and they wont notice. They will pick on newcomers and to them, that's what she'll be Surprised
As for the daddy Lab, he's done his deed and that's it. He has no paternal instincts whatsoever

Last edited by on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 4:10 am

Wow that' really good. All that and just 2 fry at the end of it - she deserves a bit of extra feeding! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Babies are coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies are coming   Babies are coming Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Babies are coming
Page 1 of 1