Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Something wrong??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:42 pm

I think I've done something wrong! I have washed the gravel and put it in the tank (flooded the place because I didnt take water out of the tank first and it overflowed Shocked ), and got the filter running but the water is really mucky looking - you can barely see from one end to the other!

What have I done wrong or is this normal??
Back to top Go down

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:50 pm

I dont think there's much to worry about because you havent got any fish in there yet have you? It could just be that you haven't washed the gravel enough, but I am sure someone else will confirm that for you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:02 am

cam wrote:
I dont think there's much to worry about because you havent got any fish in there yet have you? It could just be that you haven't washed the gravel enough, but I am sure someone else will confirm that for you Very Happy

Thats probs it. Thats happened with most of my set ups. It should clear by tomorrow. Do some good gravel vacs so the dusty stuff doesn't stay in the gravel Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:09 am

There is a hell of a lot of dust in a bag of gravel, and it takes an awful lot of washing to get rid of it. You can either leave it and do as matt suggests, or take it out and give it a really good washing.

Either way, keep an eye of your filter because the muck in the water could block it and stop it working.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:23 am

I wash mine too Diana. I'm not that lazy Wink
Back to top Go down

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:25 am

Oh I think I'll empty it all out and start again. It took me hours to figure out the filter set up, so I couldn't bear anything happening to that.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:26 am

TBH i wouldn't bother. It should be fine. ALl my new tanks go cloudy and (touch wood) i have never had a problem Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:27 am

Matty wrote:
I wash mine too Diana. I'm not that lazy Wink

Ahh, Matt, I wasn't suggesting that you were!.. I just meant that elj could leave the gravel in situ and give it a good vac! Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:29 am

Oooh!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:19 am

I found the best way to clean gravel is to put handfuls of it in a metal sieve and then use the shower head to rinse water through it until the water runs clear. Put the washed gravel in a bucket and then once you've it all done, just give the bucket a few swirls with clean water to make sure any leftover dirt is removed and then pour off any excess water.

Btw, always add the gravel to the tank before you add the water otherwise the gravel goes everywhere as you've found. If I were you, Elj, I'd drain the tank, take out all the gravel and give it a thorough clean as described above. It's a tedious process but works a treat. Wink
Back to top Go down

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:27 am

I did exactly the same thing when I was setting up my tank - didnt wash the tank half enough and had to remove it all and start again. i think its the best way to do it coz it does talke a lot of rinsing under the tap.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:33 am

But your sorted now driver Very Happy (Just seen your sig, fill up that Clearseal tank Wink )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something wrong??
Page 1 of 1