Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Something wrong??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 3:05 am

Over the past two days I have had two fish die - both mollies. I havent added anything to the tank except a couple of plants fom the local store and the water is ok too.

can anyone give me any idea what is happening and if there is something to worry about here?

Thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 3:06 am

Can you be more specific? Exact tank stats, how old is it, is it cycled etc Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 3:10 am

Hiya matt. I have had the tank a couple of months, its 120litres and no I didnt cycle it - just put the fish in there and then found out later that it was a bad thing to do. The fish have all been ok though.

water is as it should be with 0 readings and the nitrate is 20. it has a mix of real and fake plants in.

does that help?

Richard
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 3:16 am

Hmmmm!! What other inhabitants are in the tank. The mollies, if they are the immensely inbred ones are quite sensitive to bullying or water quality etc. Did they have any marks on them, white spots or cloudy eyes etc. I would also do a large WC incase they did have some thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 am

I havent been keeping fish for that long ritysy, but have realised that some fish just die easier than others. Guppies, mollies and plattys all seem to die quicker than other types of fish.

If your water stats are ok, filter working ok and you havent introduced anything new to the tank, it could just be that they were weak fish.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 7:00 am

They could of been severely weakened if they were cycle pioneers, that's probably the likely cause Richard
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 2:57 am

Just looking around at all these threads... do you have an update ritsy? Hope things have settled for you
Back to top Go down

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 4:34 am

hiya munchy. sorry, I should have done an update on this after asking for your help.

I had one more death after asking about it, and then nothing. The water quality stayed really good, so I think it must just have been a 'one off' thing, perhaps due to me cycling with them initially.

One bonus (hard hearted sod that I am) of it is that I have been able to go and buy some new fish, so I got a nice shoal of rasboras Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 5:02 am

Oh lovely! Rasboras are sweet. No need to apologise. I was just trying to wake the forum up a bit, lol Smile
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 5:25 am

what sort what sort Razz
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 6:23 am

I assumed they were galaxy rasboras...don't know why, i just did, lol Smile
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 6:38 am

oooo lemme seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 8:07 am

What's the GH of your water? Mollies prefer hardwater so that could be a factor in their mysterious deaths...Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 am

looking at the other thread, they were harlies I am afraid :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Something wrong?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something wrong??   Something wrong?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something wrong??
Page 1 of 1