Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

compatability of silver arowana

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

compatability of silver arowana Empty
PostSubject: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:32 am

Ive read they can be a little aggressive and eat anthing smaller than them...but what are the chances of keeping one with red bellied piranahs and oscars??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:38 am

I'd be more worried for the arowana I think. I thought piranhas could only be kept together?? My LFS had a piranha and Oscar in the same tank and the Oscar ended up with half its mouth missing... Shocked
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 am

as rule of thumb they advise you to keep it species only BUT if raised together from very small they should be fine. Ive known piranhas to live with guppies and not be bothered. BUT if anything does start to go missing, things will be moved around to accomodate
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 am

Ive been trying to find out some info on this phishy. The only thing I can find out is that they are a nasty BIG fish, surface dwelling, like to be fed live fish and should only be kept with fish bigger than themselves.

Should also be kept in a tank with a lid because they will jump out.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:50 am

I think they look like Neil from The Young Ones - the same gloomy expression. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:55 am

They do sound nasty little beggars, one article I read suggested feeding them live guppies or goldfish!. Also said they might bite the feeder! No
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 pm

so do you reckon they'd be compatible with piranhas then? with them being the same temperament as each other
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 11:43 pm

you do realise that arowana grow to about 48 inches thats a lot of fish you are going to need a very large tank
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 12:23 am

That's not a fish, it's a baby shark!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 1:47 am

Ooh they sound a mean bad fishy! :lol: In fact they sound a BIG mean bad fishy!

Watch your fingers phishy :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 5:06 am

phishy07 wrote:
so do you reckon they'd be compatible with piranhas then? with them being the same temperament as each other

I'll show my ignorance now! Arent piranhas smallish?? Reading about these fish makes them sound like the fish from Hell, that will scoff anything that moves!!

I would imagine that would include its tankmates unless they were bigger than it. I might be talking rubbish though :lol:
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 am

Piranhas (red bellied ones that im getting) will grow ROUGHLY the same size as oscars, so i wouldnt class them as "smallish" depends how you define "big fish" lol
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 7:59 am

BTW after gaining info from another source im not going to get one lol just stick to my 2 plecs, oscars and piranhas (for now). I actually bought an oscar today cos he was soooooooo nice and cute (about 2-3 inchs) and so ive put him in my fluvel 124 for now with my perch until tanks ready. I think i want a mix, hes black with orange (not the tiger oscar though) i want a couple of tiger and albino tigers too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 8:15 am

phishy07 wrote:
Piranhas (red bellied ones that im getting) will grow ROUGHLY the same size as oscars, so i wouldnt class them as "smallish" depends how you define "big fish" lol

I didnt know pirhanas grew so big, thanks phishy, I learn something every day! :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 8:17 am

phishy07 wrote:
BTW after gaining info from another source im not going to get one lol just stick to my 2 plecs, oscars and piranhas (for now). I actually bought an oscar today cos he was soooooooo nice and cute (about 2-3 inchs) and so ive put him in my fluvel 124 for now with my perch until tanks ready. I think i want a mix, hes black with orange (not the tiger oscar though) i want a couple of tiger and albino tigers too

Just reading your sig phishy, thaqt's a lot of fish youve got there, must be great to have all those tanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 8:50 am

Yeah, its just the maintainance lol. And who would of known only been keeping fish for 7 months. Im still cycling my new 400l tank that will accomodate piranhas and oscars
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 am

Hows that going phishy, are you near the end of it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 am

What's made you think of pirhanas phishy? Got to be honest I dont even know what they look like, so they might be a great looking fish, but it's a strange one to keep isn't it?

Not getting at you by the way!! Just interested what makes certain fish appeal to people :lol:
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:21 am

Ive always wanted them. I only really like the red bellied ones though:
compatability of silver arowana Piranh10

Although this pic does NOT do them justice. They're not as agressive as everyone thinks they are (kind of like rottweilers lol) they're very timid and nervous/shy fish
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:23 am

compatability of silver arowana Red-be10

This ones a bit better, they have what i call "glittery scales" when caught by the light they're fantastic beauties to look at
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 am

jammy wrote:
Hows that going phishy, are you near the end of it?

Nearly there, another week maybe, although ive bought an oscar today already and only went in for "a look" hahaha lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 5:01 am

Thanks for the pics phishy, they are a good looking fish but I dont think that I would want to have them tbh - too fond of my fingers! :lol:
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 8:54 am

lol, true BUT they can recognise their owners (like oscars) theres even a man on a piranha forum that trusts his red belly THAT much he can kiss it!! Now THAT i'd love to see
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 8:58 am

I would imagine that they would be OK. Just make sure the aro isn't to small Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:00 am

Im gunna give it a miss i think, dont want a £60 fish to die! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: compatability of silver arowana   compatability of silver arowana Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

compatability of silver arowana
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next