Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Compatability

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 6:24 am

Sorry, I have put this question elsewhere - can someone delete it as its probably best in here. I was just thinking, if you have BN's can you also have fish like ottos and corys?

All I am thibking is that if the BN's like to furtle about in the bottom - so do ottos and corys dont they? so do you have to have a rel big tank to have that sort of mix or do they all get on and avoind each other?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 6:36 am

I keep bristlies with corys. I think Mary keeps ottos with hers. As long as there is sufficient hiding places and good filtration they should be fine.

Ottos go where the certain type of algae they like is and corys are pretty active, more so than bristlies so they don't clash too much in a suitable tank. I wouldn't keep corys or bristlies in less than a 2ft long tank. I have the two together in a 3ft long.

As long as you have space they mix fine.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 7:18 am

That might be something to think of for my tank. I do like the catfish type of fish, and have room (inch-wise) for more fish. I have the bottom of the tank sort or divided in half by a big bit of wood to give each of the BNs their own territory. They also have their own cave thingy to live in.

Do you think a couple of corys or ottos would be ok in that set up? Would they also have to have a 'house' to live in - that might be a problem if they do. Which do you think would be better - corys or otos?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 7:43 am

Corys are more active and therefore more visible - they also would not compete for algae with the BN's
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks indo - you might just have helped me decide what fish to get! I'll have to have a little read up on them and see which are nice ones Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 9:46 pm

I love the peppered corys. I kept them years ago but haven't got any now as I have 5 loaches & Paddington (clown plec) :lol:
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
indigoj
indigoj

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 10:06 pm

I've got peppered corys, but there are some more exotic ones too that are pretty stunning. I like panda corys and I have seen some stunning ones with a bright orange stripe (natural)
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Actually the Otos are about the only fish that the BN ignores. If anything else approaches his courgette/cucumber, he bats them away with his long tail but he seems to tolerate the Otos ok. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Compatability Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compatability   Compatability Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Compatability
Page 1 of 1