Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Betta BiOrb Blitz

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 9:45 am

Well, as mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to clean out the Tank Of Death tomorrow before I get another Betta. I was just going to take out all the decor, substrate etc. and give it all a good clean out. But just in case something nasty is lurking in the tank, do you think that I should sterilize the filter sponge as well and then just stick it in one of the other tank filters for a couple of weeks to build up the bacteria again?

I'd kind of feel more secure about putting another Betta in there if I had sterilized the tank completely so it kind of makes sense to start afresh with a completely new filter bacteria population also, doesn't it? Wink
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 9:09 pm

I would sterilize it. Then as you said pop it in one of the other filters for a week or two. I want to see that thing sparkle sunny
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 2:47 am

Are you still going to use the Orb then Mary, not try another tank?

It must be hard to know what to do, but if it were me (with my vast knowledge!!), I would feel easier if I started from scratch with another tank.

Hope you dont mind me putting my tupenceworth in Mary pale
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:48 am

burn the biorb Betta BiOrb Blitz Candlestick (it might not burn very well)
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Matty
Matty

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:06 am

munchycarrot wrote:
burn the biorb Betta BiOrb Blitz Candlestick (it might not burn very well)

hahaha I never had much luck with mine either!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:16 am

I'm going to put a Betta in a spare Q tank first and see how it gets on there. I went to the LFS today to get one but they'd sold out of all 90 Bettas that they got in two weeks ago. They're getting in another 100 next weekend so I'm bound to find one then. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:27 am

Take time in choosing one. Look in the tank and look and see if their eyes are bright, see if they follow your fingers around the glass. See if their fins are full and all that stuff. Get yourself off to a good start Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:30 am

Thanks Matty but given the amount that they'll be stocking, I think it'll be a case of look in the "pint glass"... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:32 am

Lol! Have a quick look though, don't buy the one thats upside don on the floor Wink
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:35 am

The fish following your finger is a good tip. I was told the same about angelfish and got a lovely specimen for my daughter about a month ago. It's just been moved from the Q tank to the 165L tank and is already commanding a prime position. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:42 am

Good luck with all this Mary
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:44 am

Mary wrote:
The fish following your finger is a good tip. I was told the same about angelfish and got a lovely specimen for my daughter about a month ago. It's just been moved from the Q tank to the 165L tank and is already commanding a prime position. Smile

I do that with my purchases to! The eyes are a good one for longer term health Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:22 am

I never knew that, Matty. Well, you learn something new everyday. I was always so busy checking that their bodies had no signs of illness, I never even thought to look in their eyes. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:25 am

If they have glasses or a white stick then definately dont buy them.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:41 am

Diana wrote:
If they have glasses or a white stick then definately dont buy them.

hahaha If they are milky or cloudy or have none that fish is a no no Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:11 am

Well I spent a couple of hours this afternoon cleaning out the BiORb. Took out the water, the decor and every bit of substrate which I put in buckets of boiling water. Ditto with the filter sponges and then gave everthing a thorough clean. A pity I wasn't as fussy about the house...:lol:

So now tank is sterile - the sponge is in the filter of the 90L tank being reseeded and the BiOrb now looks cleaner then it did when I got it first day. So I'll set up the other 16L Q tank this weekend for the new Betta and fingers crossed, this will be the last one I'll buy... silent

Last edited by Mary on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Mary I have just been catching up on your betta posts - it is such a shame. The last fish was a beauty wasnt he?

I really hope it all works out well. I dont blame you for not using the biorb again - it will be interesting to see what happens. Are you going to use the same supplier?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Well I willl be using the BiOrb again eventually if the new Betta survives quarantine. But I'm going to use a different supplier. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 11:25 pm

Have all of the bettas died during the quarrantine period them Mary, I can't remember?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 4:12 am

Diana wrote:
Have all of the bettas died during the quarrantine period them Mary, I can't remember?

Apart from the first one, they have Diana. But they were "quarantined" in their permanent home anyway but next time I'll put them in a different tank for a couple of weeks first. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 5:22 am

That's probably the best way to do it isn't it Mary.

If they get through the quarantine in a different tank, but then die when they are in the biorb you will know there is something wrong there.

Hope it all works out good for you.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 5:39 am

Exactly. A scientific experiment if you will. Thanks Fishfan. Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 am

Why don't you buy one more of the other fish you have & put it in the bi-orb for a month. If it lives just add it to the community. That will take the experiment one step further or you wont know if it's weak bettas Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:08 am

Good idea methinks - Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Betta BiOrb Blitz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betta BiOrb Blitz   Betta BiOrb Blitz Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Betta BiOrb Blitz
Page 1 of 1