Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feeding Regime

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:04 am

Hi everyone and thanks for all the help so far.

I've been doing a lot of reading about how best to look after fish and would like a bit more info if that's ok.

What I'm wondering is - what is your feeding regime? I know a lot of people are using garlic in here now, but what else do you feed and how often etc.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:21 am

i alternate my feeding daily (not used garlic yet)

flake
nowt
pea's
corgette (pleco) / frozen brine shrimp
nowt
tetra prima (sinking food)
tetra pro (vegatable based food) The mbuna will get this when they stop eating my plants lol + other veggies

and the pleco's get 2 waffers every 2 days
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:31 am

Well, I try to vary the diet as best I can but this is what I've found works for me and my fish:

Monday - Dry flake, Betta pellets plus algae tabs. for bottom feeders
Tuesday - No feeding
Wednesday - Brine shrimp & veg. for the plecs
Thursday - No feeding
Friday - Dry flake, cichlid tabs plus algae tabs. for bottom feeders
Saturday - No feeding
Sunday - Bloodworms/Daphnia or Mosquito larvae, veg. for the plecs plus minced garlic once a month.

Because I only feed 4/7 days, I prob add a little extra on the days that I do feed but the fish are growing and thriving so they're certainly getting enough to eat. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 5:03 am

I feed every morning except Sunday.

Monday - Flake
Tues Freeze dried daphnia
Wed Flake and peas
Thurs Frozen food - daphnia, brine shrimp or bloodworm
Friday Flake
Saturday Frozen food and veg
Sunday Fasting

Three times a week I feed the plecs either courgette, cucumber, peas, lettuce, wafers or pellets.

The Goldfish I also feed every morning. either flakes, veg (peas, cress, cucumber, courgette, orange segments.)
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 5:16 am

Very similar to others, we feed

Monday - king british flake, catfish pellets plus 1 algae tab for the plecs
Tuesday - king british flake, catfish pellets
Wednesday - Brine shrimp & 1 algae tab for the plecs
Thursday - king british flake, catfish pellets, frozen bloodworm pellets
Friday - king british flake & peas or prawns
Saturday - king british flake
Sunday - day of fasting

garlic once a month, occasional cucumber & courgette
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:13 am

I feed twice a day, every day affraid

I feed mainly fish flake or pellets, but have started to add some peas and also garlic after reading about it on here.

I dont give them a day off though - should I do that and am I feeding too much by feeding twice a day?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:50 am

It doesn't really matter how often you feed them, it's more to do with the amount you give them I think.

Just give then a little bit and see if they eat it all, if they don't then you know they are getting too much. Excess fish food just rots away on the substrate and can give you problems with your water quality, so it's best to feed too little than too much.
Back to top Go down

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:09 am

Thanks Diana. I might cut back a bit and perhaps give them a fasting day. Thing is as soon as the lights go on in the morning they all swim to the top of the tank waiting for their breakfast!
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 6:05 am

I'm just feeding three times a day at the moment while the tank cycles and it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm, so might keep to that even when everything has settled down.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 6:50 am

A good way to judge if the fish are getting enough food is to see how much they eat in 1-2 mins. If an excessive amount reaches the bottom of the tank, then you're adding too much food; if hardly anything does, then you're adding too little. So a happy medium is just that a small amount reaches the substrate but the majority is taken by the fish from the water column. Smile
Back to top Go down

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Well I've only got one fish so I dont have a lot to do as far as feeding fish goes but I don't think my betta would appreciate not getting fed every day - he looks miserable enough as it is anyway! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

i feed mainly flake and pellets, but have started adding a bit more veg and now garlic too after reading the info on here. all the fish seem to be getting used to the veggies now, and like a bit of brocolli! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 12:13 am

Diana wrote:
I feed every morning except Sunday.

Monday - Flake
Tues Freeze dried daphnia
Wed Flake and peas
Thurs Frozen food - daphnia, brine shrimp or bloodworm
Friday Flake
Saturday Frozen food and veg
Sunday Fasting

Three times a week I feed the plecs either courgette, cucumber, peas, lettuce, wafers or pellets.

The Goldfish I also feed every morning. either flakes, veg (peas, cress, cucumber, courgette, orange segments.)

You feed your fish orange!? Is it just the goldfish or the tropicals too? I have never heard of that before - it seems fish can be given almost anything :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 4:35 am

Oh Diana's fish must have the most varied diet on here. If it's good enough for human consumption, it's good enough for the fish! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:06 am

so that's why goldfish are orange Feeding Regime Goldie
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Sponsored content

Feeding Regime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Regime   Feeding Regime Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding Regime
Page 1 of 1