Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

online fish

Go down 
+2
indigoj
Fishfan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

online fish Empty
PostSubject: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 7:46 pm

sorry to ask questions again, but have any of you ever ordered fish online?

I think I might have to order some of my new stock and am just wondering if the quality etc will be ok. Also do you think there will still be a need to q them or could I just add them when they arrive?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 7:53 pm

I've had several fish bought online both from shops and individuals. I prefer buying from individuals as you see the actual fish you will get. Quality wise that is my only concern - you can't pick the fish that has the best markings or looks in best condition.

You definitely need to quarentine - any new additions should be for minimum 2 weeks preferably 4.
Back to top Go down

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 12:03 am

indi, does that mean that you have to always have 2 tanks running? how big does the tank have to be for quarentining fish?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:05 am

Hiya,

No don't need an extra tank always running, just a spare tank, heater and filter that can be set up when needed.

Keep a spare bit of filter media in your main tanks filter to use rather than cycling a quarentine or hospital tank.

Quarentine tank does not have to be very big - just depends on how big and how many fish need to go in it. I use a 30l for small fish and 80l for big fish.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 4:25 am

My Q tank is a narrow 19L tank that fits on the utility room counter. When it's not in use, I just have it turned off and drained and the filter sponge fits in the main tank filter which keeps it cycled. Wink
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 6:09 am

hi F.F sorry mate never odered fish onlike always from lfs and always the same shop.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 6:17 am

Trimar have a good reputation but alas, they only deliver to mainland U.K. so no good to me. Boo. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:01 am

Trimar (from experience) are EXCELLENT

If they dont have what you want, they will do their best to get it or advise good sensible alternatives.

Im ordering from trimar on monday myself

Aquaticlife Direct have a good site - never used them , the postage is a killer onm their site but worth a look.

Most if not all the fish in your LFS arrived in t e same manner as the fish will if you buy em online - ie in bags of water in polyboxes - some of these fish have travelled halfway around the world like this so it isnt anything new to them - no worries about the ethics of pishpost if you think about it Wink

I agree with the point about not being able to select individuals - but trimar will do their best to fulfil your requirements and gett hte right combo of makles to females (if necesseray and or requested)

Ive had more duff plants by post than fish

Hope this helps

PS message for BTB - there is a thread somewhere on Q tanks here - I didnt have one until last december (14month ago) you dont need one - but they are one of those things you are glad to have when you have it - a small tank (20liters would be good for you bearing in mind you have a 100liter main tank) and youll need a heater and filter of some sort (keopt running in your main tank when not in use in the Q tank) and thats about it - a fake plant or two and a post for a shelter - no substrate (substrate makes it harder to kill things like ich)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Rich. I'm going to have serious look today and get it sorted. I will q them - I habve my 90litre tank that I can use for now - till I decide what I am going to do with that.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Just one more thought. Might be looking for problems when there arent any, but when you order online, how do you go about finding out what their water conditions are? If they have fish that have been a hardwater tank and then transfer it to a tank with different readings, does that have an effect?

I have read that it can lead to fish death, and so it is better to get fish locally as they have the same water?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:33 am

I have never ordered online ff, but dont know that there would be any more problem than buying them from an lfs. You dont know what the water they were in was like before being sent to the lfs.

I would think that if you introduce them gently then they should be ok..
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:34 am

perhaps just keep more of an eye on them for a while to make sure everythings ok.
good luck F.F

dekker
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:37 am

Most online shops are happy to tell you their water parameters either by phone or email, some even state their water type on websites. I think trimar does or used to - not been on for ages.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 am

Do you think if you are ordering on line that you should check then indi? Dos it have a big impact on fish health etc?

As mentioned, I have never orderedd online, but it would be good to know because I am thinking of doing a bit of restocking too Smile
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:50 am

I think it can be important if ordering from a different part of the country, eg London has very hard water while here in Bury I have lovely soft water - for sensitive fish that could be a problem and for any fish would require a much longer than usual acclimatisation.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:54 am

I was thinking of ordering from this lot

http://www.aquaticlifedirect.co.uk/

I will have to e mail them first and find out where they are and what their water is like. I suppose this is why generally you sometimes get fish deaths fairly soon after buying them - not all fish in your lfs come from local sources probably do they, and are being taken through all sorts of water conditions.
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:00 am

It is also partly why you often see dead fish in LFS, especially wild caught fish.

No used that online LFS, some nice stock though!
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 5:20 am

Diana wrote:
I have never ordered online ff, but dont know that there would be any more problem than buying them from an lfs. You dont know what the water they were in was like before being sent to the lfs.

I would think that if you introduce them gently then they should be ok..

Two methods - either ask em (if they refuse to tell ya - hang up and shop elsewhere) or simply test the water the fish arrive in. On that note - be over cautios about introducing the fish to your tank - let the bag sit in the water to equal temp for at least half an hour (with the top of the bag open for fresh air) - I use parcel tape to secure a bag to the side of the tank (cant be arsed to roll the edges etc)

The first water I add to the bag is about 1 cupful - then each time thereafter (every 15mins) I remove 1 cup of bag water (down the drain it goes) and replace with another cup from the tank - I do this 6 times with mail order fish - touch wood (from trimar) I have had zero losses - when the fish arrive by courier - either have them wait for you to check the fish or sign the docket as 'unchecked' if any fish are dead in the bags - dont open the bag, take a digital photo of the bag with the dead fish and contact the seller immediately to sort something out (either refund/credit note or replace,ent fish) some shops want you to return the dead fsih to them in a seal bad (lunch I guess)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 6:20 pm

some good tips there rich.

just been looking at the link diana a lot of nice fish ( cichlids especially) would love another tank of them dont know which i would have tho.

butterfly cichlids look nice.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:23 am

useful info there, am thinking of getting some online myself too so its handy to know what to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

online fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: online fish   online fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

online fish
Page 1 of 1