Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TANK READY

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

TANK READY Empty
PostSubject: TANK READY   TANK READY Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Tested the water this morning and have now got Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 so I guess I am ready to transfer the fish. Im going to leave it for another day just to make sure stuff all stays the same though.

I was going to do it this way so what do you think?

Take some water from new tank

Take some water from current tank and keep.

Transfer some gravel, ornaments and plants from old tank, and add in some new plants.

Fill new tank and add some water from old tank (dont know if this is necessary but I think it will be better for the fish?)

Make sure temp etc all ok.

Transfer fish.

Other question. Will I go through a mini cycle because the numbers of fish are low for this tank, and wheen I buy more I am going to put them in the old tank for a while to make sure they arent ill?

How many more fish could I add?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

TANK READY Empty
PostSubject: Re: TANK READY   TANK READY Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:00 am

well done ff. Good idea to ait another 24hrs just to make sure but sounds as if all has gone well.

You might have to take quite a bit of water from your big tank to get rid of nitrates if that is high so make sure you do enough of a water change.

That sounds ok to me..

As for the mini cycle you will have to watch out for that. The bacteria in your filter will die back to cope with the bio load from your current fish, so when you add more it will have to build up again to deal with the new load.

I think Mary can answer this better than me I think she has stocked her tanks slowly because of this.

Think what fish you want to end up with and get them one lot at a time I guess would be the best way, but maybe someone has better suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

TANK READY Empty
PostSubject: Re: TANK READY   TANK READY Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:00 am

When I was building up the stock in my tanks, I quarantined the new arrivals for a month and then added them to the tank (no more than four at a time though) and just tested the water for around three days afterwards, doing water changes if there was any detectable ammonia and/or nitrite. Wink

If I was you though, Fishfan, I'd leave the stock you have in your current tank as they're all small species and in proportion to the 90L. I'd add bigger species such as Angelfish, Pearl Gouramis, Bolivian Rams etc. to the 240L as that's just perfect for those types of fish but then again, those are the species I have so maybe I'm biased. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

TANK READY Empty
PostSubject: Re: TANK READY   TANK READY Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 5:40 pm

hi F.F i think its best to stock nice and steady - when i did my new tank i added two at a time so filter had time to catch up - sounds like you have it all worked out anyway mate good luck hope the transfer goes ok - pics when you get it all finished plz.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TANK READY Empty
PostSubject: Re: TANK READY   TANK READY Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TANK READY
Page 1 of 1