Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!

Go down 
+2
dekker
Fishfan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:10 am

Ok merry TFF'ers time to pick your brains Smile

The tank is set up, gravel washed and bogwood merrily turning the water brown despite soaking it for 3 years!. Not to worry though Smile

Anyway, I got to thinking about wanting a nicely planted tank - I have seen some grwat photos of nicely planted tanks and they looks great. I then remembered that I was thibking of getting cichlids and I dont think cichlods and plants go together do they?

So I then started thinking more laterally, and decided to come to you lot.

OK, these are the questions =

Can you ghave a decently planted tank with cichlids?

IIf YES, what cichlids and what plants?

If NO, what fish would give a decent display in my size tank? Dont want livebearers and do want plecs. Would also like a reasonable sized fish or two as a sort of main attraction if possible.

With whatever you recommend above, what plants could/should I go for? Something that is idiot proof and doesnt require tender loving care, a sort of aquatic dandelion would be great.

So, basically I am asking you to plan a new tank, think about what you would do if you were starting up but knowing what you know now.

Answers on an A4 please Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:42 am

thats some task you have set everyone F.F - one that will have all thinking

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 6:36 am

Good question though!

I think if I were starting out agin I would probably be tempted by cichllids. Which ones though I am not sure to be truthful. I look at the pics people have put on here and they just looks such a colourful and interesting fish.

that doesnt help as far as you having a planted tank goes though ff because I dont think that species and plants are necessarily compatable, unless you go for rams.

Ill carry on thinking though and might just change my mind Smile
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 6:37 am

im not sur what plants to go for but i do know discus are rpobably the best choice if you want plants and lots of colour.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 6:58 am

Well they would certainly fit the 'fish of a reasonable size' requirement because they can grow to quite a size I think. Colourful too.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:34 am

Discus are boorriinngg though IMO...I call them the Paris Hilton of fish i.e. they look nice but do nothing interesting. laughing
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 11:22 am

I cant understand the big deal over discus - alot of bother for a boring fish.

Lots of medium sized cichlids to pick from - not to mention oscars - so if I had the tank for it (say a 6 foot tank or there abouts) id have oscars and larger barbs, silver sharks etc.

If I had to start over for some reason (catastrophic crash of tank etc) - id either go for a dedicated cichlid tank (either malawi or tangerine Very Happy - depends on what matched my tap water most easily) or (as bopring as this will sound to some) a my main tank full of mini species like cardinal and rummy nose tetras - big shoals of little fish create a good effect.

Knowing me id ed up with angelfish tho Very Happy

I would like a brackish trank for archer fish as well

Id like a marine ttank as well

Id like an oscar tank as well

Id like the national marine aquarium as well :d
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:58 pm

hi F.F

i have acei (pseudotropheus) in my tank great fish will get to around 4inch very active, i have fake plants in there as well and they have never pulled them up are anything like that,

i also like the look of yellow labs beautiful looking fish lovely yellow colour with a black stripe running a long there dorsil fin smashing.

there's so much to choose from i think i would have a few trips round lfs before making any decision, looking forward to seeing what you pick tho,

dont forget pics as soon as you can good luck mate.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!   BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BRAIN PIKIN TIME!!!!!
Page 1 of 1