Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Decision Time

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:05 am

OK - Here is the deal - I have had my water tested and its full of copper - so unless I want to invest and install an RO unit - marines are looking out of the question (bearing in mind that I may not be able to sort this out all of the time and rely on others to fish sit for me)

So - im thinking of erring on the side of sensible caution and not doing the marine after all.

However - Ive been wanting to do this for a while and realised today I already have most of the 'stuff' id need to do it

Im thinking of a micro-species tank (freshwater) - ie small fish only community type thing.

Now Ialready have Galaxy Rasboras - and I do like the look of cardinal tetras - so was thinking of getting a shoal of those (20 or so) to go with a similar number of Galaxy's I have - maybe put in a clown plec or two.

Now I think I can squeeze in a 60liter tank where my current 30liter is (depends on shape of tank - ie cube or oblong etc) - I had 'toyed' with the idea (again) of a 60liter biorb but im not sure how suitable they are for4 what i want (ie do they allow decent shoaling space for tetras)

I can also use my aquaball thats in my galaxy tank and the substrate as they are obviously already cycled

what does everyone think

has anyone any other ideas for diddly fish to go in? im also considering Neon yellow rasbora, Microrasbora kubotai but i believe these are still rather expensive and I do want a good sized shoal of smal fish (hence the initial idea of cardinals)

cheers

PS this will be an otto free zone Very Happy

Last edited by Rich on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:11 am

i would go with the tetra's rich imo i think they give a lovely display shoaling
together,

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:32 am

I would stay away from the Biorb's tbh. Dont have any experience of them - Mary is the one for that - but I dont think they would give much in the way of shoaling swimming space.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 am

thinking of putting some Khuli loaches in too - my main tank Is too big and decorated for me to ever see a khuli if I added them and the substrate turning habit would be a bonus Wink
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 am

Actually, I disagree about the swimming space in the BiOrb as their circular shape lends themselves to fish being able to swim round and round for as long as they want! Although pound for pound, you'd get much better value with a standard tank. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:35 am

im nervous of acrylic too - not scratched my glass tank - but sods law being what it is (and the stand for biorbs is quite low to the ground and for a dwarf like me to say that is quite something)

and - im still not sure about systemised tanks etc. - I know biorb is well catered for and easy to find - but its still expensive stuff and frankly - in mot sure about the bowl look in general.

the little ones look cute but the big boys - a tad naff looking i think now (looked a few times at the ones ion P@H)

cheers tho - onto the fish - what do ppl think?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 am

I think a shoal of Cardinals would look fab. in a well planted tank. Can't think of any other diddly fish offhand though - unless you count Cherry Barbs in that category. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Yeah - got cherry and checker barbs (and tigers and ruby) in my community so im wanting something different.

I did like mt rummynose tetras before the white spot wiped em out in a few hours (the free white spot I got with my clown plecs Evil or Very Mad so am a little reticent (the shoal was expensive loss)

So far - the list (mental list) is

My Galaxy Raspberries
Cardinal Tetras
Khuli Loaches (the red n black ones)
2 - 3 clown plecs
Neon yellow raspberies

only downside 9slight one) is that im aware cardinals like a well planted tank - yet my galaxies seem to prefer open space - bit of a quandary - especially in the limited space of a 60liter tank

anyway - going to the LFS today (to sell on my plec babies No im very attached to em now) they have a small tank bursting with cardinals so i will have a think in there
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Galaxies are beautiful fish I think, but dont know how easy they are to get hold of.

I like rasboras generally though, decent fish, not too difficult to look after and a good shoaling fish too.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:27 pm

looking forward to hearing what you get rich

dekker
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:30 am

You could always just plant half the tank, Rich and have bogwood and/or rocks on the other side. Then everybody would be happy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 3:47 am

you mean a copy of my main tank -

well - went to LFS as planned - got £20 for my BN babies (was offered cash but took a credit note as cash is eaten by other things like food) oh and they will take my swordtails as well (but for zero cash) - whilst in there - saw the cardinals in the display tank and still like the idea but to add another option

Neon Tetra's - but these were special - these were the proper wild colour ones - and whilsst dsomewhat more subdued in colour (not flou blue) they had a lovely green hue that really stood out in a flash when they moved in a certain way - and were about £1.20 a pop (or 6 for £5) so im seriouslty considering these - in fact - im tempted to go back tomorrow and get em in with the galaxies asap - you know what its like when you procrastinate on fish - they tendt to be gone when you go back.

However - folks wont be happy if I do as im due to go for my shoulder op on thursday 19th march - decu=isions decisions

oh and im thinking of an elephant nose for my main tank too - the lfs has them with regular pebble 1-3mm (smooth type) ie not sand - so Im thinking they ought to be ok in my tank.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 am

What size is your main tank again (too lazy to check), Rich? AFAIK Elephant Nose Fish can grow quite large... study
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 7:15 am

neons with a green hue never seen any of them rich,i would like them myself if it was me i would be back tomorrow and getting them.
what ever you get photos plz asap.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 9:17 am

Elephant nose grow to 9" - just a tad more than my make BN (in a 100cm long tank touch over 3foot) - territorial to their own kind (think along the lines of RTBS) so only 1 in my tank possible

As for going back tomorrow - not an option - I don tdrive - I rely on others and whilst this LFS is the best by far (in terms of fish - not so for gear) - and its actually the closest (excluding P@H) its a bum to get too and not on bus routes (like the two other LFS I tend to use)

Im gonna check out trimar prices thjo first -and yes Iknow i have £10 for p+p to consider there - but for convienience -there is no contest Wink
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:16 pm

good luck rich hope you get some on trimar.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 11:26 am

Bit of an update

Seen a tank in P@H that I quite like the look of - it comes with everything for £99 - ie tank, heater, thermometer, filter (wont need) Lighting (both daylight and moonlight) and is 70liters - base/cabinet is £50 (i believe)

anyway - its called a 'fishbox' and they claim it be to be exclusive to P@H - ive done a web search and not found one so maybe its true.

Anyway - Im going to go and get the measurements for the base etc - the problem is squeezing it into available space if it wont fit - then im gonna have to have a rethink (or try to move this monster pc and the cupboard my 30liter tank is sat on)

Current stocking list is

10 Galaxy rasberries (already have)
20 Cardinal Tetras ( decided against neons)
2 Clown plecs
10 Black neons (different species to regular neons and tough as old boots)

I have also been reading on a number of sites (drum roll) that current 'stock list' capacity of tanks is out dated by at least 40 years

The stocking of my maintank proves this - but if you dont believe me - check out thinkfish website and read 'stocking advice'

My mai natnk has 2x Eheim Aquaball 2012's (with extra media on each) Tetratec EX 700 and an AquaOne Aquis 1200 for a 180liter tank

Overkill come to mind? - certainly not over stocked for my capacity Wink

The new tank will have the same sort of overkill as well - 2x Aquaball 2008's (with extra baskets) and my trusty eden 501 external
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:36 pm

sounds like a good bargain rich and a good choice of stock, look forward to pics.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Interesting point about the stocking levels Rich - it is always a source of contention isnt it - how many fish can be put in a tank.

My view on it (not scientific by any means) is that you will probably be able to get away with a slight overstock on fish if they are small (ie neons, guppies type size), but once you get into anything larger then there might be problems.

I am sure that the filters now are more efficient that those used 40yrs ago which would help water quality, but personally I dont like the thought of an overstocked tank - I prefer to have the fish in plenty of swimming space
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Ive just asked about stocking for my brand spanking sparkly Huuuuge new tank - info on it says 96cm?? Is that too much do you think??
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:57 am

Use the community creator on thinkfish website - put your tabnks measurements in and state what sort of filters your using - I basically put 'oversized external' as it didnt have an overkill button Very Happy

The main issue with tank capacity is (n my mind) as follows.

Filtrations used isnt accounted for

Dietry requirements of fish (and thus the poo factor - ie a plec of 6 inches poo's a heap more than a 6 inch gourami)

Metabolism of fish - is it always active or seemingly half asleep all the time

Water location of fish - is it top middle or bottom etc - I do think its possible to over crowd zones in a tabk ie too many bottom feeders - too many mid feeders etc.

How often does the individual clean the tank and to what degree.

Planting - 40 years ago - most tnaks were unfiltered and relied on plants alone - under gravels were 'expensive' at the time. I know under gravels are great for biological filtration - but not so hot for mechanical - and I believe this is where a good deal of the issue lies.

As pointed out in the article - you might theoretically be able to stock (using measurements) 6 oscars in a tank - we all know the reality - - the factr is that there are too many variables in stocking level calculations - and whats the argument for certain cichlid only tanls being purposely over stocked? Ive never seen an aarguement or criticism of such tanks yet someone like me with a similar number of bodies in tank woukd be scream at for over crowding.

I defy ANYONE to come over see my tank and find unhappy sick fish caused through over crowding - i have covered every individuals needs and as you all know - they are breeding like flies currently - so something is ok.

Bottom line - Common sense
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 am

Rich wrote:

I defy ANYONE to come over see my tank

Right .....................get the kettle on........................I'm on my way Smile
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:03 am

Dint bring your whip - mines bigger n better anyway Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:14 am

Thats what they all say!! laughing
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 am

Diana wrote:
Thats what they all say!! laughing

That can be taken two ways - either you think im lacking in the whip dept or you get around a bit eyebrows

My way, your way - anything goes Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Decision Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Decision Time
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next