Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Moving fish

Go down 
+2
Admin
Diana
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Moving fish - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 5:58 am

Here you go Diane just tested

PH.>>>> 7.5
Amonia>>>> 0
NitrAte>>>> less than 5 lowest it will go.
NitrIte>>>> less than . 3
Temp>>>>74/75
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 6:15 am

can you see elvis at the side of the filter in tub.

Moving fish - Page 2 DSCN0134

Moving fish - Page 2 DSCN0133

Moving fish - Page 2 DSCN0135
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 am

I am trying to remember what I have heard about Juwel filters and can't crazy - perhaps Mary will have a better memory than me and will be able to tell you something about them. I am not sure what sort of reputation they have.

I cant see Elvis I am afraid, but the tank looks great - you did well to get it sorted, it must have been a Hell of a job!

If it is not from the gravel, I wonder if it could be some sort of bacterial bloom?
Sometimes changing of the gravel can trigger a bacteria bloom, due to the removal of bacterial colonies that had settled on the filter media or substrate. The bacteria are free floating in the water rather than livig in cosy little colonies in the substrate, ornaments etc. (does that make sense??)

Until the bacterial nmbers in the filter build up to deal with the free floating little beasties, and until they get their houses set up in the gravel etc - which could take a while, you get this cloudy water.

Do you have an air stone in the tank - if you do then I would leave it running as bacteria use up a lot of oxygen in the tank. Teat your water daily to make sure you dont get a rise in Ammonia etc, and do daily water changes too until the water is clear.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:17 am

I like the way that the tank perfectly matches the fireplace. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 7:58 pm

lol.nearly Mary its just a shade more orangey.
i was going to go for a grey one if i didn't get this.

still cloudy but changed 3 buckets this morning i'm trying to dilute it now,
think i might do another 3 this afternoon.
then 3 in morning, that should be it then.

he doesant seem bothered when i do water changes.
i think its the big bad scarey pink net that worries him laughing
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 8:39 pm

I'd just change about 25-30% at a time chez. say just twice a day - morning and evening. Shouldnt be too disruptive for him then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Hiya chez wave Yiou have a lovely looking new tank there, and I have been catching up on your posts about Eliis - he is a great looking fish Smile

Are you going to keep him on his own or will you be adding a few more fish now you have a bigger tank (apologies if this has been covered before, I havent been on for a while!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 pm

ELVIS IS A LONER..LOL
no more fish
i just want a 1 specis tank.
and no room in the house for any more tanks before anyone asks.lol
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 7:01 am

you can always find more room.......
atm i literaly am using a plastic tub that is holding aprox 100lts as my tub / temporary home for my wild cichlids until i get another tank. my idea is to get another filter first and drop that into my 4ft for a week or 2 while the others are in detox to pre cycle the new filter....
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 7:43 am

Does the tub have heater/filter in it bg?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 pm

how's the cloudiness chez? with juwel filter media, you have to wash it, wash it & then wash it some more. Especially the white ones. My tank always goes cloudy if i don't leave the sponge in a bucket under the tap for an hour. The filters are crap tho Wink
When you take the powerhead out to get at the sponges, they can be tricky to get going again Twisted Evil
A good shake under water usually sorts it, just make sure it's definitely unplugged when out of water (i know you're not thick, they can just pack up for the slightest thing)
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 pm

Diana wrote:
Does the tub have heater/filter in it bg?

yes. i had a spare filter in my 4ft (getting full of good bacteria) for my next tank but i decided to use it for my Q tub and get another filter.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Sounds like a good set up you have bg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving fish   Moving fish - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moving fish
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2