Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Moving A Plec

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Moving A Plec Empty
PostSubject: Moving A Plec   Moving A Plec Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:10 pm

Well yesterday I had to move my new Panaque plec from the Q tank to the 165L tank as it'd finished its month in quarantine. Good Lord, for a fish that can't swim in the conventional sense of the word, it sure can MOVE!! crazy

I managed to net it without too much bother but while I was putting it into a container of water, it leaped out of the net onto the utility room counter, luckily landing on the lid of the container so I was able to pop it back into the water and then transfer it to the larger tank without further incident. However, if it had jumped an inch further left though, it would've ended up splat on the ground... Shocked
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Moving A Plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving A Plec   Moving A Plec Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Oh no! I've never moved a plec in a net since getting one stuck. It was horrible to try & pick him out, I always use a jug now. Maybe I was just unlucky but it was enough to put me off dunno
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Moving A Plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving A Plec   Moving A Plec Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 pm

I know what you mean. They can get their odontodes (mouth spikes) stuck but this one didn't seem to have prominent ones so I figured I was ok with the net and luckily it worked out. Wink

I was so delighted when I learned that my BN plec could stay where it was (I was originally told I'd have to move him to a three foot tank) as moving him would've been a MAJOR job what with all his bristles and spikey odontodes... Shocked
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Moving A Plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving A Plec   Moving A Plec Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 7:17 am

Yep cup, jug or even hand is usually better for anything spikey. Plecs are a nightmare to catch and move though. I'm dreading ever having to move my 9.5" Gibby!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Moving A Plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving A Plec   Moving A Plec Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 am

By hand, IJ? How do you do that - just cup your hands around it then? Wink
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Moving A Plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving A Plec   Moving A Plec Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:04 am

yes pretty much, my Gold Nugget is almost hand tame now.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Moving A Plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving A Plec   Moving A Plec Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 10:20 pm

Wow, that's cool although I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon...:lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Moving A Plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving A Plec   Moving A Plec Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moving A Plec
Page 1 of 1