Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

about my plec

Go down 
+3
Rich
Mary
dekker
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:07 am

Hy their i got a 9 inch plec 2 days ago,have given him alge pellets and cucumber,but he is not eating anything,any ideas, ACER,
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:21 am

hi acer

with him only being in the tank 2 days he will still be getting used to his new surroundings keep your eye on him for a day or two.

rich will proberly be able to give you some expert advise later.
hope he picks up.

dekker
Back to top Go down

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:30 am

hi dekker thanks for advise, ACER
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:03 am

Woah, 9" plec? I hope you have a four foot tank... Shocked

What species? Not all plecs are vegetarian. For instance, I have a Panaque that eats wood and another plec that's an omnivore so eats prawns as well as veg. Wink
Back to top Go down

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:15 am

hi it is a common plec,i got it out of a pet shop,i have a 45 gallon tank, will that be ok silent
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:22 am

What size is the tank though? Three foot, four foot? They have the potential to grow even bigger. Is that US (170L) or UK gallons (205L)? Hopefully the latter...Wink
Back to top Go down

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:30 am

uk gallons 205L. 3 and a half feet. silent
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:59 am

volumne of tank means nothing when it comes to the physical size of a fish - a common misunderstanding too be honest - a plec doesnt care too much about 'volume' ie 45 whatevers - its the physcial length and width that matters - a common plec needs bare minimum for its longterm good to be in a 4foot long tank (48") - at 9" for a common plec -(s)he is a little over half grown (aiming on the conservative side as well)

Your diet for pleccy is fine Wink have a read around the site to see what other tasty treats a plec will eat - they do eat most things - including meatier food (not steak sandwiches - prawns, and bloodworms and the like) but most 'catfish pellets' will have this to a varied degree.

So really, most sinking pellets / wafers etc will be eaten

As said - two days is early days - if it goes a week withiut eating 0 thats the time to worry. Also - I hope (not meaning to be rude or sarcastic here) you are aware that most plecs general feed at night - so you may not get to see it eat - especiall early on - it will need to associate you with food - after a few weeks - if you feed them in the morning (just after the lights have come on) it will pop out to eat and gradually become more confident with you and eating in daylight.

TBH - I think many people get caught out with common plecs - they cost very little but they do grow big and do so fast - I persoanlly think all fish/pet shops should by law be forced to display clear warnings about the maximum size these fish grow too - a good LFS will ask you what size tank you have 1st - they will still sell the fish to you but at least theyve wanred you.

I have resuced a number of Plecs (common and sail fin) from pet stores and gotten them healthy again then rehomed them to people who do have the tanks to cater for these fish.

If you measure the tanks lentgh and width (height/depth doesnt matter) we'll advise you Wink

TBH - the best plec for 'average' home aquariums (ie from 2 - 3 feet) in my opinion are brostlenose plecs - they dont grow big - are reasonably sociable and breed easily (thus there is a ready supply of domestic bred rather than wild caught plecs) and are easy to cater for.

As a siode note - most plecs need bogwood in the tank - they dont 'eat it' as such - but do scrape small amounts off every so often to get lignin which they need as aprt of their digestive system - some of the better brand pleccy foods (Sera Chips are one example) have this built in but its always good to enable an animal to behave in as natural a manner as possible.

If you havent got any bog wood (NOT mopani - this is too hard) it isnt too expensive and you can buy it pre-soaked (we'll explain if your unsure what were on about) and it is actually quite a nice thing to have in the tank.

Hope this helps (and you havent taken it as a lecture - all fish sites such as ours find ourselves helping many people caught out by common plecs and their potential size) - time for this trade to be dealt with (many fish grow too big for most tanks ad get sold in the thousands every year - i shudder to think what becomes of most of them)

Any questions etc - just ask Wink

and welcome to TFF and the mad world of fishkeeping Very Happy

(were not all mad - some of us are just lunatics Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:06 am

there you go acer i knew rich would sort you out, plus there's a lot of tips and advise for us all in what rich has said, cheers mate.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 am

To put it in perspective, I have two 3" plecs in my three foot tank and IMO they have just enough room to roam. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:16 am

2x adult Bristlenose (breeding pair) in a 100cm (3 n half foot) long - 16" (1 n half foot) tank - male is 8" female is 6" and I had (for a short while) an 8" sailfin plec anmd this is how jammed in he looked

about my plec Sailfin2

about my plec Sailfin1

and this is albino common plec at about 6months old

about my plec Jeff1

here is a good site for catfish info - the link is for the common plec

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=87

they say 10" for max size - we all here (most of us) have seen pics and heardof pet plecs getting much bigger

were not nagging - just trying to warn you - if you have a 4 foot tank then all is cool - if not - seriously consider finding a good home for it - some one who can cater for its needs - or at least retrurning to lfs as soon as possible

would you like to spend the test of your life in a room the size of a police cell? youd survive but you wouldnt be happy (or healthy)

if your still interested in catfish for your tank - we can help - a few of us have different ones and some experience between us so let us know what size tank you have and we can knock our grey cells toghether on this Wink

be warned - at once cell per member average - dont expect a genius response Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:22 am

forgot to add

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=49

these are bristlenose plecs - great little plecs - suitable for most tanks (well - 2 foot minimum but thats about average tank) easy to care for and breed

and I may be able to get you them free Very Happy (20 babies about ready to go to new homes)
Back to top Go down

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:42 am

thanks for the advice although i must admit that i am depressed now,i really wanted to keep him,how long could i keep him in my tank,as i might by a norther tank Sad
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 am

LOL!
another one bites the "mts" side.

imo i think that one (and only one) common plec should be ok in a 3ft tank.
as long as the whole floor plan is set to his/her needs.

my gold spot is at aprox 9-10" and my gibby is at about 3" both these guys share a 4ft tank with 3 bn's with no probs.

about my plec 100_0410
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 am

Nice photos and plecs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Acer I have a 12 inch plec and he gets pellets, courgette,cucumber, he also eats prawns and mussels, he also trashes the tank every night I came down this morning and the airline that was buried in gravel was floating around the tank. A word of warning if its a common they get big I didnt know when I got him how big they get and he was put in a 60 litre Embarassed he soon out grew it and is now in a 4 foot.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:03 am

Is that tank planted, alison? I've heard that they basically bulldoze everything in sight... laughing
Back to top Go down

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:15 am

Yes nice photos,Well that is it i will keep him,and if he gets to big i will by another tank, £400 tank for a £10 fish.Mmm.lol. Acer shark
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:41 am

Occasionally bulldoze? try twice daily for a smaller plec - the little s- darling Very Happy

they may be trouble sometimes - but id nt have em any other way - yup - 1 common plec in a 3ft is do-able but as said - makes suret the bottom isnt too cluttered with 'stuff' ie allow it room to move freely and un hindered (stretch its fins so to speak) - but if you do keep this 1 I would strongly advise no more plecs of any kind - you may get away with a few clown plecs and otts for sure - but i mean no bristlenoses or any other medium to large plecs.

Some plecs become hand tame - it takes time tho

a new tank - there is always an excuse for a new tank - even if you dont actually have the room or cash for it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:45 pm

great photos B.G lovely looking plecs, i have two little britlenose plecs beautiful little fish .

dekker
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Yes Mary plants are up every morning floating around the tank and because the tank is deep I am up to my shoulders putting them back in, mind you I put moss balls in and he has managed to get most of them in to his cave, I dont know if he is using them as pillows but once a week when I gravel clean I pull them out ,arrange them in the tank and by the following morning he has moved them again.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 pm

That is so cute! Using them as pillows... laughing
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:53 am

probably eating them more than anything else - my catfish like to do a snatch n dash with food - that why i use 1oz fishing weights on courgettes etc Very Happy

forgot to say - just got 4 plec caves off ebay for £10 no P+P either Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:54 am

Hiya Acer, good to meet you - see, youve only been on here 2 minutes and already you are going to get a second tank lol!
Back to top Go down

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 am

hya acer, good to meet you and welcome to TFF
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

about my plec Empty
PostSubject: Re: about my plec   about my plec Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

about my plec
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next