Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

a brief update with photos!!!

Go down 
+2
Diana
biggreeny_101
6 posters
AuthorMessage
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

a brief update with photos!!! Empty
PostSubject: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 11:41 pm

hey alll!
this probably should be in the cichlid section but its more general topic i think?????
its been a while since i have actualy kept you guys updated on whats been going on down here so here it goes!

firstly i have made a few changes.
moving fish/ new tank/ new fish/ babys (that disapear)

ok one of the bigest things is my new tank (not completed decor yet)

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0310

(i know it looks bare atm but im working on it. Embarassed there is a nice piece of planted drift wood and some baby bn's in there now)

also you might of noticed my port acara there too.
long story short is when my sevs wanted to spawn they pushed her around and since then she has had a grudge towards my sevs and has not let up. it got to the point of im going to try to mover her to my platty tank. i was actualy surprised she hasnt even looked at the plattys in any aggresive means what so ever???? dunno

also because of my acara the blue acara and rivulatus ganged up on my poor oscar when i went away for chrissy. i come back to see all three at him. by then it was too late and unfortunately he died.

so what did i do?
i went an dgot a bigger oscar.

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0311

he/she is a long finned oscar.

next:

my sevs

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0110

a brief update with photos!!! Pair10

they have been at it non stop! every 2 weeks im garunteed eggs.

the latest batch:

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0312

(i will be asking questions about breeding these guys properly later)

my riv and blue have almost doubled in size!!!! shark

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0313

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0410

oh i also got impatient and went out to buy a bigger plec (gold spot gibby)

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0111

compared to my gibby this guy is huge!!!!!!!!

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0010

ok i will leave it at that for now but i will add more later as im off to bed.

also keep you eyes peeled for my thread on my trip to the melbourne aquarium and the zoo....

ps: did you notice the better picture quality as i got a new camera for chrissy. snaps
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 am

I was just going to write about what great pics when I saw your last comment Smile What type/make camera did you treat yourself to?

Some lovely fish there - the difference in scale of those two plecs is really noticeable isnt it. I bet the little fella minds his manners! pale

Just one query, in the first photo you show a large plantin the centre of the tank - is that real, and if so is it an aquatic plant? If it isnt it will just rot and die so might be better to check.

Thanks for the update though, it's always great to see how peoples taks are progressing.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 am

great looking tanks there... what sizes of tank house which fish, lol. i'm confused crazy (it doesn't take much)
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Diana wrote:
I was just going to write about what great pics when I saw your last comment Smile What type/make camera did you treat yourself to?

Some lovely fish there - the difference in scale of those two plecs is really noticeable isnt it. I bet the little fella minds his manners! pale

Just one query, in the first photo you show a large plantin the centre of the tank - is that real, and if so is it an aquatic plant? If it isnt it will just rot and die so might be better to check.

Thanks for the update though, it's always great to see how peoples taks are progressing.

thank you! its a kodack easyshare zd710 not the best but far better than my mobile phone.

i have caught the little gibby hitching a ride on the big plecs back a few times.

oh and yeah that is a real aquatic plant im unsure what it was called. but i will have heaps of questions on how to maintain a planted tank.

[quote=munchycarrot]what sizes of tank house which fish, lol. i'm confused [/quote]

all up now i have 3 tanks. the first photo is of the newest tank only 50lts unsure of mesurements
the main tank where all the other photos are from is a 4x 18x 18
and i also have the little 30lt tank that i started with. wich currently has nothing in it but i should keep someone in there to keep the chem balance going.

now i know most of you are freaking out by now thinking thats a lot of large fish in the 4ft but at the moment the biggest fish are the sevs and plec @ about 15-20cms the rest bearly make 10cm

the plan is im looking at moving in the next few months so there will be room for another 6ft tank
and im also thinking about doing a study/ fish room but that will cost quite a bit.

but im also looking into what i have to do with my sevs. as i want to succesfuly raise the fry but im not sure how to do so. ie: remove the sevs into another tank by themselfs and let them raise the fry or remove the fry after ther become free swimming or remove the eggs b4 they hatch (and get bitten by both perants while doing so) either way im goin to need at least a 2ft setup. so? confused what would be best for these guys?
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 9:46 pm

Nice tank bg, and some great fishy photos too.
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 pm

thanks fishfan!

thought id add a few tank shots

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0314
(this one was taken using the panoramic feture didnt turn out right but still looks good)

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0315

the sevs eggs hatched this moring too. yay

a brief update with photos!!! 100_0412

they kinda look like a brown clowd at the moment but in three days i will have heaps of little beby sevs swimming around.
unfortunatly they wont last long as the otheres will eventualy get to them.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Great photo's again bg, and I like the look of your tank.

What a shame about the babies though - cant you seperate them somehow?
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 pm

i wish i could. i had a divider but my small gibby and bn's can squeez through the side of it and get to the fry.
i have the guppy trap in there im goin to try to get 2-3 in there to see how i go. but i realy need to get a seperate tank.

i actualy broke my divider too.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm

You would only need a small cheap tank wouldn't you bg. I have one that holds about 18litres and it has come in so handy either as a nursery, a q tank for the odd sick fish or when I had bought new foish and didnt want to run the risk of putting diseased fish into the established tank.

I keep the filter for it running in the main tank and just transfer it over when I need it.
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 10:34 pm

i have my little 30lt without any thing in it. but no heater. and i think i might stress out the fry if i move them (i herd its not the best for them)
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:42 am

What lovely photos. I really like the first one with the fish facing straight out. Great catch. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:44 am

ok im goint to buy a heater today for the 30lt!!!!
im going to try to move the babys tonight as they should become free swimming today.
but my question is what should i feed them????????
should there be any live plants in the tank??????
and the filter i have is a hang over back type and should i cover the inlet for it so they dont get sucked up????????
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:45 am

biggreeny_101 wrote:
i have my little 30lt without any thing in it. but no heater. and i think i might stress out the fry if i move them (i herd its not the best for them)

wouldn't it be less stressful than getting eaten though? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:49 am

great pics No green with envy
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:53 am

biggreeny_101 wrote:
ok im goint to buy a heater today for the 30lt!!!!
im going to try to move the babys tonight as they should become free swimming today.
but my question is what should i feed them????????
should there be any live plants in the tank??????
and the filter i have is a hang over back type and should i cover the inlet for it so they dont get sucked up????????

Good on ya bg! I havent any experience of this, but from things others have done I think you can feed them fish flakes rubbed down into a powder, or buy some special fry liquid stuff (cant remember the name of that!)

Wouldnt bother with live plants - no need for them, but perhaps a pot of some sort for hiding and shelter?
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 5:26 pm

chez wrote:
great pics No green with envy

i wouldnt be envios, you have a awsom oscar.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 7:49 am

hi B.G

i have only just read this thread and seen your photos of your tanks they
are awesome mate lovely wish i could get mine something like yours.

thanx for sharing B.G

dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a brief update with photos!!!   a brief update with photos!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a brief update with photos!!!
Page 1 of 1