Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cardinal problem..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 8:02 pm

Just to add to the probs going on in my cichlid tank, I now have a couple of cardinals in my community tank who have got 'something'

Here are a few pics, best I could get but i think you can see what i'm talking about

First one has developed dark patches...

Cardinal problem.. Cardinal2

Second one has 2 white lumps and they stick out a fair bit. They look as though you could pull them out, like giant splinters..

Cardinal problem.. Cardinal4

Just to add.. water params are Am - 0, nI - 0, nA - <10, pH 7.4

Nothing new added recently

Last edited by on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Oh Munchy, you're not having much luck at the mo are you? I wouldn't know what to suggest other than seperate them from any other fish and perhaps try a general melafix type treatment?

Have a look in the fish care info just in case that gives you any clues too.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 10:25 pm

The last one looks a bit like somekind of fungus or bacterial infection, the black spotted one could be the end result of the same thing, where the nerves have suffered (possibly temporary) damage and have made these areas on the fish keep a dark pigmentation

If they are new fish, id say take em back, no one wants duff fish, and you especially dont want it spreading to other fish.
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 12:24 am

these have been in the tank for about 18months Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 8:36 am

That is bad news Munchycarrot, how are they now, OK?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 12:40 am

They look the same, they do not swim normally as there tails are twisted... im wondering about putting them out of there misery Suspect
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 1:09 am

Oh, that's bad news. Are they eating ok?
Back to top Go down

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 1:21 am

Oh that's bad, I havent had to do that to a fish yet - the only deaths I had was because I cycled with fish No , but I would hae to have to do that!
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 3:58 am

They are eating Diana which is making me think i don't want to euthanise but i'm certain that whatever they have is only going to get worse. I just don't know which way to go, waiting may increase their suffering and they can't really shoal with the others coz they can't keep up with them.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 5:45 am

It probably is best that you do - you don't know if they could pass it on do you (can't remember if they are in a tank on their own - you have too many fish!!)
Back to top Go down

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 9:28 pm

it does look like patches of dead skin. I can only think of some anti bacterial meds, Melafix etc. Hope they're ok.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 3:57 am

Lol they are in my community tank with loaches, gouramis, black widow tetra, plec, rumy nose tetra. About 40 in total, i might see how they go and fish em out later. I'm adding melafix, the white bits on the one in the pic have turned black now & the tails are very twisted Suspect
Back to top Go down

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 5:44 am

That sounds bad Munchy, have you any idea yet what might have caused it?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 12:49 am

I haven't got a clue tardis, i'm stumped. All the other fish are fine, water params are good.. it's just one of them things I think. Can't think of anything else scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cardinal problem.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal problem..   Cardinal problem.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cardinal problem..
Page 1 of 1