Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

African Butterfly Fish

Go down 
+2
indigoj
Mary
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

fish - African Butterfly Fish Empty
PostSubject: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 12:11 am

Does anyone have experience of these surface-dwelling fish? I'm quite intrigued by them but, as they're predators, I'm a bit concerned for my Otos since I just got them...Wink

Fish Photo
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 3:11 am

I doubt they'd go for ottos as they don't look down much, they probably wouldn't notice them.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 7:20 am

Would they get on with your other surface dwelling fish or would they be in a different tank?

Youre getting a collection of oddballs Mary :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 8:08 am

No, different tank to the Hatchetfish. If I was to get one, it'd be in the 165L tank with the Cichlids (Angelfish, Ram) and the Pearl Gouramis among others. There's one in a local shop atm for €11 which seems reasonable for such an oddball. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 7:42 am

Did you get any of these Mary?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 8:45 am

Not yet, tardis. I'm still doing a bit of research into them. I don't want to upset my happy 165L fish community if I don't need to. Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 4:45 am

Cant see the photo Mary, but perhaos this could be a candidate for the Fish of the Month info - it would be good to find out about some of the more unusual fish, and this certainly seems to fit that description!

By the way have you removed the photo Mary, its not loading for me?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 4:48 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:14 am

old thread revitalised - from my understanding, butterfly fish are ambush predators, mainly of invertebrates and crustacean - so with that in mind - in terms of what fish they 'MAY' have a pop at - id say anything smaller than a cherry barb may well be snaffled (or livenbearer fry etc)

IE i would say that if its safe with an upside down catfish - thn it will be safe with a butterfly fish. I do know they a are similar to siamese fighters in that they dont like fast flows/too much surface disturbance and as they are surface dwellers - they also dont appreciate bright lighting and like a good amount of floating plant cover (I was recommended to get fake plants that float for this purpose as they dont shed and block filters etc and dont suffer burnas from lighting)

I would feed em dried blood worm and also dried tubifex at every feed - crumble up the tubiflex cubes - you could also feed occasionally, small crickets and the like just to replicate the natural diets. I have heard they can be a little reluctant to take flake and pellets etc but i cant say for sure on that.

I must admit- evertime i see these in the shop I am curious about them - maybe one day i'll get some (which reminds me - they like to be in groups of 6 or thereabouts)

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:33 am

I was quite interested in getting an ABF once until I read about them possibly eating any small fish that ventured near it so I decided against it, for the sake of my Otos. Pity really 'coz they're a really interesting looking fish. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 1:32 am

I think your ottos would be safe tbh - ABF aint half as fast as Birchirs and my ottos seemed to avoid their advances for the most part and since ottos are suckers (ie mid to lower and generally on the glass) I dont think the ABS would get the oppourtunity tbh.

Another idea beyond the floating plants I suggested - get some decent pieces of flat bogwood and put those against the glass (where your ottos hang out the most) leaving enough room for them to get in easily but no more - an ABS will not be able to pursue them then Wink

Just a thought - I will track down some good links/imfo on ABS and Post it here (or in fish description corner)

Cheers - Rich
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 am

Thanks Rich but I've already nixed the idea and gone for Rainbowfish instead! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: African Butterfly Fish   fish - African Butterfly Fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

African Butterfly Fish
Page 1 of 1