Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

clown loach death

Go down 
+3
Diana
GeordieDave
alison
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 6:34 am

I have 4 clowns in my 250l tank I had 4 in october and then lost 2 to an outbreak of ich over christmas I then replaced the 2 dead ones in feb since then eveyrthing has been great they eat like horses and are always together out and about yesterday morning one of the loach was dead and the body was greyed out and the skin looked as if it was flaking off I have tested the water and everything is normal but I did do a water change anyway .today I decided to feed them early and only one came out to feed but just now one of the bigger clowns came out and was hanging about under the spray bar and he looked like his body had scrapes or marks on it he moved very slowly around when usually they are turbo charged I have just treated the tank with melafix has anybody got any ideas
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 7:44 am

no idea alison sorry, hope they pickup soon
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:28 am

had nightmare of a night oh spotted dead fish under bogwood when I moved it it was one of my bigger clowns I then did another water change and saw my goldnugget plec on his back I just netted him and dupped him in my 54l tank and after 30 mins he has moved and stuck himself on the front of the tank I then tested the water and the nitrite was up not quite 0,25 but not 0.0 so I did another water change 5 mins ago I have also lost 6 harlies I dont have a clue what is going on with this ****** tank my oh has just shouted that the 2 clowns that are left are out what a night
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:33 pm

Oh alison, thats bad news. I suppose you have done a full water test - ph etc? How about hardness too?

Have you added anything to the tank lately that might have caused it - new fish, ornaments etc.

Really sorry you are having this trouble, hope it settles soon.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 10:31 pm

if the nitrite is up, it sounds like somehow the filters have been hit ie bug are dead or at least reduced

D0 50% water changes daily (ive goteen away with 50% every 12hours in the past) Also King British Safe water is brilliant at dealing with Nitrite and ammonia, not too expensive, pets at home stock it.

Is there a chance the filters are clogged a little, perhaps youll find a loach in an intake, ive lst zebra this way, still dont know how they managed it, i guees they are like khuli loaches for that

I think youre best bet is to do the water changes and pray... sorry i cant help more than that, but its worth stripping the tank looking for more bodies as these will only add to the polution
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 2:07 am

I cleaned some if my sponges last night the only thing I added was the melafix the 2 clowns have been out this morning and everything seems to have calmed down will be testing water later on again today clowns are out now sharing a prawn we found dead big loach last night also I was doing water change last night at 11 oclock I was waiting for other half to bring bucket back when I heard a splash one of the odessa barbs had jumped out of the tank and landed behind the tank screamed for husband and he managed to reach it and get it out it was full of fur Embarassed pulled off fur and dumped back in tank was swimming around fine when I went to bed
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 2:34 am

lol! , sorry, but that just made me chuckle!! :lol:
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 3:29 am

yeah! suicidal fish.
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 3:52 am

yes Rich I use King British safe water always have ,so far today everything seems fine , mind you when I saw the state on that barb it looked like a hairy fish Shocked I could not believe it was still alive this morning I did a head count and they were all there .
The goldnugget is happy enough in the smaller tank as it is only about 2 inches he is fine for the moment. I would have been devastated if I had lost him, he cost me £26 Shocked
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:02 am

Just keep a close eye on your plec, GN are not the toughest. That said mine survived and fought off a nasty bacterial infection that killed 4 bigger older plecs.
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:51 am

just tested the water amm0 nitrite0 nitrate 20 so far so good
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 6:21 am

good to hear alison
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 7:20 am

Sorry to hear about your loach troubles, alison. Hopefully, the tank will be sorted soon. Out of interest, what is your tank maintenance regime? Apart from weekly water changes, how often do you rinse out the filter sponges or clean out the filter/impeller?
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 8:34 am

water change once a week sometimes twice depending how much plec poo is around rinse out filter sponges once a month
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 2:54 am

how are things now Alison?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 2:18 am

Things seem to have settled down MC, did a water test on sat and everything as it should be, the clowns are out and about and are feeding well. The goldnugget is still in the smaller tank and I am seeing more of him now than I ever did before, there are only 8 tetras in the tank and one giant otto so theres no one to annoy him
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 3:25 am

Ahhh that's good Alison Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 5:35 am

Glad to hear it, alison. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

clown loach death Empty
PostSubject: Re: clown loach death   clown loach death Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

clown loach death
Page 1 of 1