Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another death last night

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Another death last night Empty
PostSubject: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 10:02 pm

Lost another fish last night! I'm going to end up with non left and the betta is dying I thing - it's just sitting at the bottom.

I got an API kit last night - ph 7.8, ammonia 1.0, nitrite 0.5 nitrate 15.

Ive changes about 30% of the water this morning, is there anything else I should do?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 10:10 pm

jammy, your problem is that the ammonia is killing your fish. If I were you I would do another water change - at least half of the water (dont forget to add dechlor) and leave it for an hour. Then check the water again and post the stats. You have very high levels of Ammonia and untul you get that down you will have problems.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Sorry you have lost another fish jammy. Nothing much to add to what Diana said except..
What size is the tank?
In your other post, you say you have "4 rummy nose tetras, 1 male betta, Platy's and Molly's" how many platties & mollies do you have?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 11:15 pm

Sorry to hear this jammy. Basically to add to what Diana and M.C. have said, your fish are succumbing to the effects of ammonia and nitrite poisoning. If you read my sticky on Cycling With Fish that'll give you some tips on how to get them through it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 12:03 am

OK, it's about 95litre tank, Have changed the water and now have got these readings - ammonia just less than 0.50, nitrite just above 0.

My betta has just died! It's been on the bottom of the tank and then just turned on its side.

Should I do another water change or would it be too much for the fish.

I have 4 rummy nose tetras that seem ok, and now 6 plattys, as well as 5 mollys. I did have more but some have died and thats what I'm left with now.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 12:25 am

jammy wrote:
Should I do another water change or would it be too much for the fish.

If you click on the link I gave you in my last post, you'll see that daily water changes of at least 50% are essential. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 1:08 am

OK Mary, sorry. I had read the info honest! I was just worried about stressing the fish out.

I've done a 50% water change and wikll wait about an hour and then retest water.

Thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 4:28 am

have you tested yet jammy (sorry, i'm impatient!) lol!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 4:48 am

jammy wrote:
OK Mary, sorry. I had read the info honest! I was just worried about stressing the fish out.

No bother. Any stress caused to the fish is far less than the physical damage caused by the ammonia and nitrite so keep up the daily water changes as long as necessary. I'd advise you to test the water every morning and, while there is any trace of ammonia or nitrite, do the water change, test again the next morning and so on. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 7:45 am

Sorry you're having all this trouble jammy. If you post the water stats then someone will be able to help you, but from reading info it does seem that water changes are the most important thing to do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 7:52 am

munchycarrot wrote:
have you tested yet jammy (sorry, i'm impatient!) lol!

Sorry MC, have just done it. Ph 7.8, ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0 nitrate 15

leave it or do another one?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 8:27 am

Well, personally i'd do another 20L for tonight then test as soon as you can tomorrow but it's getting better Surprised
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 8:38 am

Yes, I'd do another one too, then it will be as neat to normal as you are likely to get.

Do a water test asap tomorrow and let us know what it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 10:40 am

Good Luck with this jammy, it's horrible to know the fish are not in decent water.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 11:10 am

Well there's a saying in fishkeeping "You're not keeping fish, you're keeping water." Get that right and it's half the battle won. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 10:25 pm

That's true isn't it Mary. I'm beginning to relax a bit about the fish now - becomming a bit of an old timer :lol: , but am paranoid about doing my water changes and testing the water every week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another death last night   Another death last night Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another death last night
Page 1 of 1