Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pleccy problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Pleccy problem Empty
PostSubject: Pleccy problem   Pleccy problem Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 11:17 am

So my two little BN's - well one isn't that little anymore are having a bit ofa problem.

The bigger of the two has become an old grouch, mooching around in his cave most of the time, and then when he does come out playing the playground bully at the smaller plec.

He chases him up and down the glass, off the wood etc. Mad

Now it isnt a major problem at the moment, but I have been thinking that I may have to move one of them out if it carries on or gets worse.

I have a spare tank in the kitchen - Clearseas 2ft long, no lights but a lid, and I also have some spare wood etc that could go in there. Is that too small a tank for a single BN? I was thinking I might put a couple of the Plattys in there with him too, just for company.

What's your opinion?

Hey!!! My first question on the new site! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Pleccy problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleccy problem   Pleccy problem Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 11:32 am

Hi Diana..

we have a B/N in a 2ft tank in the kitchen with 2 gourami for company! He's fine Smile

Have you tried maybe rearranging the big guys cave a bit, throw him off his feet. Might encourage him to be a little more active & less grumpy
scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Pleccy problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleccy problem   Pleccy problem Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:43 pm

I've read that plecs can have problems sharing their territory, especially if it's two males. I'd suggest you try what munchycarrot has said and maybe rearrange the territories a little. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Pleccy problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleccy problem   Pleccy problem Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:54 am

Well... plecs can become grumpy and its normally restricted to their own kind... my male BN is a bully towards the little lady BN.

My solution (hope you tank is big enough to do this) was move one big piece of bogwood to the otherside of the tank, as it happens, plenty of caves there too in my tank, and at plec feeding time, I now divide the cucumber or courgette etc into two, and place themfairly well apart.

He does give a swipe now and again if they do meet, but is not so intolerant as they both have their own patches. Btw, if my snowball shows up, the bully legs it home and the female sneaks over to robn his food as she isnt fussed about bigger plecs Very Happy

Anyway, hope this helps, as a summary, make two sperate area/territories and see how it goes Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

Pleccy problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleccy problem   Pleccy problem Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 10:35 pm

He must need his own bachelor pad Smile
Back to top Go down

Pleccy problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleccy problem   Pleccy problem Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 11:46 pm

can u mix shrimp with other cleaners such as BN'S or will the BN gobble him up?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Pleccy problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleccy problem   Pleccy problem Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 am

I might be wrong, but I think Mary has shrimp in her BN tank. I found with the Cherry shrimp that it is best to keep them in a seperate tank until they grow big enough not to be eaten, and wish I had done that before I lost half my stock!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pleccy problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleccy problem   Pleccy problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pleccy problem
Page 1 of 1