Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

New Problem Empty
PostSubject: New Problem   New Problem Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 1:16 am

So I cleaned all the tank, washed everything and the smell has gone yay .

Today though there is a definate tinge of green in the water that wasnt there when it was smelly! Evil or Very Mad Why would that be happening now? I would have thought that now everything was clean the water would have been great!

please help!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

New Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Problem   New Problem Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 1:48 am

Hi Ant. Sod's law isn't it? Get rid of one problem and another comes and takes its place!

The only thing I can think of is it is an algae bloom. I dont know whether the fact that you have blitzed your tank and cleaned iy all would trigger that, or is it by a window perhaps. Also ho long do you have lights on for.

I am not sure, wait for someone else to confirm, but I would think that water changes are the only way to get rid of it, and dont have the lights on for a bit.
Back to top Go down

New Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Problem   New Problem Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 2:21 am

Well it's not near any windows or anything like that. I do have the lights on - probably or about 10hrs - is that too long? I dont have any live plants now, they all died so I chucked them out.

The fish seem ok which is one good thing I guess.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

New Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Problem   New Problem Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 4:54 am

I'd maybe cut the lighting a bit as you have no live plants.

I would suggest reduce feeding, maybe a very small pinch every other day. Many of the aquarium flake foods are high in phosphates and as the food decays these phosphates are released, causing & helping the algae bloom

Increase water changes to control nitrate and phosphate levels, vacuuming the gravel will also help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

New Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Problem   New Problem Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 1:11 am

munchycarrot wrote:
I'd maybe cut the lighting a bit as you have no live plants.

I would suggest reduce feeding, maybe a very small pinch every other day. Many of the aquarium flake foods are high in phosphates and as the food decays these phosphates are released, causing & helping the algae bloom

Increase water changes to control nitrate and phosphate levels, vacuuming the gravel will also help Very Happy

Hiya MC, I'm doing daily water tests at the moment, should I be doing daily water changes or twice daily? Water tests are fine by the way, no ammonia or nitrite.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

New Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Problem   New Problem Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:07 am

Well if your ammonia and nitrite are both zero and your nitrate is less than 40, you could probably stop with the water changes, Ant. Just test every other day for the time being in case problems reoccur. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

New Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Problem   New Problem Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 3:43 am

Missed this. Thats great the smell has gone! Keep testing though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Sponsored content

New Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Problem   New Problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Problem
Page 1 of 1