Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Filter change

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Hiya everyone, how are you all doing. Nice to be on here again - it seems ages since i last posted and there's been loads of changes on here - hardly recognised the place!! Looks good though :lol:

I dont have a problem (breathes sigh of relief!!) but I have been wondering how to go about changing the foam in my filter?? I dont want to start a mini cycle so how does everyone go about this?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 12:01 am

Hi Guppy, nice to see you!

Can I ask why you want to change your filter foam...is it past it's best?

The best way to go about it is to thoroughly was the new foam then wash it some more in old tank water. Cut both, your old foam & the new one in ½ and use ½ of each.
I always squeeze a bit of muck out of the old bit you're throwing away onto the new bit too, just for good measure Smile
Repeat the process in about 4-6 wks to swap the other ½
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 6:09 am

Hiya Guppy, nice to see you posting again Very Happy . I can only reiterate the good advice given by Munchy. Dont change your filter foam unless it is really falling to bits though.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:52 am

I've had my filter media for over a year - by the time I rinse it every month, it's absolutely minging but I've yet to change any. Wink
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:24 pm

hehe I decided to clean out MCs Fluval 2 she generouslly let me use to help speed up my cycle.

And god it was DISGUSTING! Filter change 36977

Must have been months to years of fish poop in there Razz
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Probably about 6 months GD. I never touched it at all, I only clean the main filter.
Did you find my missing Gourami, Otto or rummy nose tetra inside?? scratch
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 4:58 am

no....to be honest i couldnt see the bottom of the bucket - it was black!!! i found what I believed to be baby fish tho.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 6:09 am

lol!
Back to top Go down

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to be back on. I have moved house to an old one that needs a ton of work done on it so that is taking up a lot of my time these days.

Munchy, you asked why I am thinking of changing. It's just that the current ones got covered in a load of brick dust (dont ask!!), and although I have given them a good rinse I am a bit bothered in case they contaminate the water. The water doesn't seem quite as clear as it used to and I dont know whether I would be better to just get new ones but dont want to have a cycle going on in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Guppy. If you're bothered about them them it's best to change them,but do it a bit at a time, as mentioned by Munchy above.

Hope the house gets sorted soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Filter change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filter change   Filter change Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Filter change
Page 1 of 1