Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UnderGravel Filter

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

UnderGravel Filter Empty
PostSubject: UnderGravel Filter   UnderGravel Filter Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 8:27 pm

A mates brother is getting rid of an old (empty) fishtank he's had lying around in the garage for ages. It's about 100 litres or so, but has an Under Gravel filter.

Does anyone know anything about these type of filters - how they work, are they efficient, how do they get cleaned, drawbacks etc.

Id really appreciate any info as I dont know if its worth getting it or not.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

UnderGravel Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: UnderGravel Filter   UnderGravel Filter Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 9:59 pm

You could still get the tank but add an additional internal "hang-on filter" that is easy to access and clean. I have a UGF in my 28L tank and that's what I did. The trouble with UGF is that you have to take the tank apart to clean them although I have a flexible brush that I just poke down the tubing every so often.

If you only have the UGF and the tank power fails for any reason, you'll end up with a buildup of anoxic gases under the substrate which makes for a hell of a smelly black gunky mess and could potentially kill the fish. But that's an extreme situation and unlikely to happen...hopefully! Shocked

Also, you have to make sure the gravel substrate is quite large as any small bits of gravel could damage the UGF filter motor (so definitely no sand!). They are quite efficient and are great for plant growth as the roots get the benefit of the UGF bacteria and detritus. But weighing up the pros and cons, I'd either add the second filter or just leave out the UGF altogether. Wink
Back to top Go down

UnderGravel Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: UnderGravel Filter   UnderGravel Filter Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:54 am

Well, as luck would have it, I phoned my mate and said I would have the tank, and they were going to bring it up last night, and when carrying the ****** thing out of the garage they dropped it banghead .

I wasnt really bothered about having it before, but now its broken and I cant have it I REALLY want it!!!
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

UnderGravel Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: UnderGravel Filter   UnderGravel Filter Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:57 am

BUMMER!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

UnderGravel Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: UnderGravel Filter   UnderGravel Filter Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 8:12 am

Well to use an Irish colloquialism - the big eejits!! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UnderGravel Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: UnderGravel Filter   UnderGravel Filter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UnderGravel Filter
Page 1 of 1