Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

bristlenose

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 12:41 am

i have 3 bristlenose plecs in my 60 l tank with a goldnugget plec they are all small the biggest bristlenose is about 2 inches the other two about an inch the goldnugget is about 3 inches i did a water change this morning and everything was fine water tested and it was spot on i have just come home and found the biggest bristlenose floating on top of the tank i have had a good look and he has no marks on him his belly is round he looks healthy apart from the fact he is dead Sad would the goldnugget have anything to do with this i know they are terrortorial but as he is still small i would not have thought i would have trouble yet any ideas scratch
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 12:58 am

Crying or Very sad I cant help you Alison, but what a shame
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 1:18 am

Seems like a bad day for fish today - see my post in emergency! I have 2 BN's and they do have the odd set-to, but didnt when they were smaller. I suppose it could be worse because they are in a smallish tank (the recommended tank size for a BN is 100litres) and so more likely to bump into each other.

I have divided my tank into two halves with a large piece of bogwood so they each have their own bit and have their own cave in their half.

It's hard to know the exact reason, but if you have a bigger tank for them that might help.
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 4:14 am

Yep I'd say tank size has something to do with it. 1 Bristlenose is about as much as fits in 60l and that is not ideal. 3 plus a gold nugget is way too much!

It could be issues over territory or he could just have died but whatever the cause the tank size will not have helped.
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:04 am

right tomorrow house move i am not looking forward to this as the last time i tried to move my big plec it took about 45 mins he didnt want to move and and in the end i had to take the tank apart
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:07 am

Are you moving them into a spare tank or one that is already occupied alison - I cant remember what tanks you have! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:12 am

i have a 230 l tank and i will try to get the goldnugget and one plec in there
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:43 am

Well they will be great in there together Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:46 am

I wonder how many people on here have bristlenose plecs - seems to be one of the most popular fish around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bristlenose Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose   bristlenose Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bristlenose
Page 1 of 1