Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you start

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:58 am

Apologies if this is in the wrong bit - I am still trying to find my way round here, but I have been amazed by all the various posts on here. There is so much information and advice, it's just great!

I was just wondering how you all got into fishkeeping and when. I am getting into it in a minor way -one goldfish that has come my way unexpectedly really, but I know from reading that some of you seem to have lots of tanks and more fish than I could even imagine!!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:56 am

Well I've moved this to General Tropical as this is the non-fishy part. Wink

My brother kept tropical fish for years and I was always fascinated by them as a child. However, it wasn't until about two years ago that my husband suggested I take up a hobby as I was becoming bogged down in being a fulltime mom so I remembered the tropical fish and...well I bet he's sorry now... crazy
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:19 pm

My other half wanted fish for ages so we bought a complete set up off ebay for £40! That was a 100l tank with one 5" Kissing Gourami... I got hooked and we now have 8 tanks ranging from 30l to 330l (although 3 are empty at the moment - 1 being resealed the other 2 are the little tanks which I use for fry or quarentine)

I never knew fish would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO addictive.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:18 pm

I had a big goldfish tank when i was little and have gone through many many tanks to get where i am now with 3 soon to be 4 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:31 pm

I got into it because a relative had a couple of goldfish, and I just started to read about fish and how to look after them.

Ended up buying a second hand tank off ebay and getting some tropical fish, and then another one for the goldfish mentioned aboove!

I would love a really big tank though, and a marine set up too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:32 pm

Diana wrote:
I got into it because a relative had a couple of goldfish, and I just started to read about fish and how to look after them.

Ended up buying a second hand tank off ebay and getting some tropical fish, and then another one for the goldfish mentioned aboove!

I would love a really big tank though, and a marine set up too Very Happy

Go for it Very Happy I want to go marine soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:54 pm

I had a goldfish in a bowl ( I know!! Embarassed ) when I was little, but used to love going to the local garden centre with my parents because they had a really big fish section and I just loved looking at them.

At the moment I dont have many fish but would like to have a bigger tank in the future.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:05 am

cam wrote:
I had a goldfish in a bowl ( I know!! Embarassed ) when I was little, but used to love going to the local garden centre with my parents because they had a really big fish section and I just loved looking at them.

At the moment I dont have many fish but would like to have a bigger tank in the future.

You'll get another tank soon!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:39 am

I was talking to my hubby about this this morning and asked him whether or not he was sorry he'd suggested I'd take up a hobby. He said "Well, I didn't expect the hobby to take you over, that's for sure!" :lol:
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:52 am

I got a 60l setup from p@h for fathers day for my other half guess who got the job of cleaning it out he likes to look at the fish and he enjoys buying them in fact tails would be hanging over the side if left to him but i wanted a bigger tank for my plec so got a 230l off ebay
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:53 am

alison wrote:
in fact tails would be hanging over the side if left to him

What a great phrase!! :lol:
Back to top Go down

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:30 am

Like others i did have a few goldfish and my old man kept some tropicals but i cant remember what. didnt pay much attention tbh.

i just decided to one day, sort of out of the blue, and thought it would be a good way to relax a bit and not cost too much cash once it was all set up.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 am

driver wrote:
and not cost too much cash once it was all set up.

For some of us!!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:58 am

If you're a cheapskate like me you mean :lol:
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 6:47 am

Diana wrote:
If you're a cheapskate like me you mean :lol:

Don't be hard on your self Diana. Some of us don't love our fish as much as others Wink
Back to top Go down

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:16 am

I dont knw why I started tbh! Didnt have fish when I was a kid, but one day it just seemed like a good idea. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:27 am

brb98 wrote:
I dont knw why I started tbh! Didnt have fish when I was a kid, but one day it just seemed like a good idea. Very Happy

...and it's ruined you life and wallet since Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How did you start Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you start   How did you start Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you start
Page 1 of 1