Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fish ideas please

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Tested the water this morning ..............wait for it...............

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrae about 30 ish

Deffo finished at looooooonng last!!!!!

It's going to be a couple of days before I can get fishies, so I am just going to keep dosing the tank as I have been doing - is that right??

Next question please =- help me decide what fish to get, I keep looking at info and end up with a list a mile long. I just want some easy to look after but interesting fish (is there such a thing?). I would love to go down the MC route and have some labs and all that, but want to learn what I am doing first.

Suggestions please?
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 11:45 pm

You are right, keep dosing for a couple more days then you need to do a WC to get rid of the nitrate.

You have probably told us but how big is your tank??

You could have some nice rasboras (galaxy if you can get them!) a nicce plec, rams, dwarf cichlids, tetras, gouramis?? Try going to the LFS and see what tickles your fancy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 12:20 am

Not big enough Matt, just 65 litres - wish I'd got a bigger one tbh.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 12:33 am

Have a look in the Fish Info sheets on here brb, it gives you ideas on the minimum tank size the more common fish need.

I'd go for some Harlequin rasboras, and perhaps some male guppies. You could have a small bottomdweller as well I would think - BN's are the most commonly available.
Back to top Go down

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 2:43 am

Well I've got a BN and it is just crazy - I love watching it skoot about the tank all the time. I thought it would only come out at night but its out all day!
Back to top Go down

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 3:44 am

Hi brb98 I would say that a pair of honey gourami would be nice in that size tank they are quite small for a gourami much smaller than the dwarf gourami (I have never had much luck with dwarf gourami). This is the best bit stocking your tank enjoy it and well done you for cycling a tank its hard waiting!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 3:46 am

Love your sig Kelly - how true that is!! :lol:
Back to top Go down

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 am

Thanks Diana shame I only found 2 out of 3!
Back to top Go down

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:22 am

Hiya kelly Very Happy dare we ask which 2 of the three you have found? :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:35 am

Does it matter? They are all the essentials of life :lol: . On second thoughts 1 and 2 are, the third is just an optional extra! :lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:45 am

charley wrote:
Hiya kelly Very Happy dare we ask which 2 of the three you have found? :lol:

kellys sig wrote:
Chocolate, coffee and men
some things are just better richer!

i'm betting on 1 & 2 lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:03 am

kelly wrote:
Hi brb98 I would say that a pair of honey gourami would be nice in that size tank they are quite small for a gourami much smaller than the dwarf gourami (I have never had much luck with dwarf gourami). This is the best bit stocking your tank enjoy it and well done you for cycling a tank its hard waiting!

I've got honey gouramis. They are lovely and suited to that tank size. You could some corys too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Sponsored content

Fish ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish ideas please   Fish ideas please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fish ideas please
Page 1 of 1