Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nearly bought a battered ......

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Nearly bought a battered ...... Empty
PostSubject: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:22 am

betta this afternoon. I went to the usual lfs and arranged to take my baby plattys in tomorrow, but they didn't have any bettas so I went across the road to see what stock they had in.

They had 3 male bettas, all red and all looking battered. They were in seperate tanks mixed in with guppies and their fins were a mess. One was really looking sorry for itself and I was so tempted to get it just to give it a decent chance but decided against it.

I am now wracked with guilt about the poor thing being stuck there, and dont know whether I should go nd get it tomorrow just to make myself feel less of a sod for leaing it there! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:41 am

Ah, poor thing. They are such pretty fish it is a shame to see tham all raggedy isn't it.

It would be good to get it and get it looking well again - as long as it doesnt have something wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 7:06 am

Well as you know, I've fallen for this a few times Diana - bringing home a poor battered fish but they've never survived for me. A fin-nipped Betta only lasted two days and three raggedy Black Neons died after just a day. So I'd say you were probably better off leaving them be. It's heartbreaking but IME more so, if they don't survive. Sometimes they're on the way out anyway and the shock and stress of being rehomed finishes them off IMO. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 7:10 am

See if theyll give you it for a reduced fee, then it might be worth the risk - youve nothing to lose really have you.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 7:22 am

I know Mary, that was one of the reasons I didn't get one today. They were only little fish, but just looked neglected really, fins badly chewed or frayed.

I dont know what to do really. Im going to take my babies back to the other lfs tomorrow, and then might nip across to look at the bettas and decide.

Can bettas go in with a single male platty by the way?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:13 am

One way of looking at it Diana.. if you buy the battered betta they will put another in it's place. You could be at it for ever Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:33 am

Well, I did get mine for half price at the time because I pointed out how badly fin-nipped the Betta was. If I was you, Diana, I'd pass some comment but in a friendly manner along the lines of "Oh dear, that Betta looks a bit fin-nipped, doesn't it? Poor fellow." That's what I did. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 am

Ah you have the gift though Mary! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:20 am

You mean, charm? Or a sucker for a battered fish...Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:26 am

Ah poor wee fishy. Go on Diana, you know you want to get it. Then you can take photos of it with your new camera :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nearly bought a battered ......   Nearly bought a battered ...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nearly bought a battered ......
Page 1 of 1