Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mega Tank Problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Over the past couple of weeks I have lost a lot of fish for some reason -

1 Bristlenose Plec
3 Harlies
3 Emerald Eye rasboras,
5 cherry barbs
8 guppies.

I half expected the guppies to go, they are renowned at the moment as being a weak species, but the others are unexplained.

They have all seemed fine, none had any sign of illness, no lumps, spots, cuts, not off their food and all swimming fine. I check in the morning and they loook ok, but when I switch the lights on the next day, they have gone - some disappeared completely, others found floating.

The latest casualty, a cherry barb, looked a bit ooff last night and I noticed that on the top of her head she had a grey area- flat, ordinary scales but just no colour in them, as if they had been bleached. This morning there is no sign of her so I am assuming she has died overnight.

Water checks are fine but I am going to do a large water change and clean out today -

ph - 7 - gone down since last test, usually about 7.5'ish
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10

I havent checked kh/gh. Anyone know how to use the Tetratec kh and gh tests - Ive lost the instructions!

Temp 27, cant get it any lower than that as the tank is in the lliving room, but is is stable at that temp and always has been

Filters working well - Fluval 4U, Fluvall 3U

I am guessing the drop in ph may be a factor - anything else come to mind?
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:17 am

cant think of anything else diana sounds very unusual to loss so mary in such a short time
matbe rich can throw some light on it when he comes on line.

sorry for all your lost fish

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am

dumb question, but whats the oxygenation like? at higher temps, water hold less o2

PH can alter over time as your tank matures - you dont to do a huge water change if its going to result in a big chage in pH as a result - I dont recommend messing with pH unnecessarily ie with chemicals - as long as its stable and doesnt flutcuate suddenly (which if this happens cos of your tap water, you wpnt normally be aware of it)

You could try buffering with more bogwood or gradully adding cacium rich rocks (the sort usually used for marines)

other than that - there may be an outside factor - poisoning, stress or something?

or simply age of fish or bad luck

anyway - thats all I can think of for now but will get back if i think of more

Hope you manage to sort it out soon tho Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks Rich. I think the o2 should be fine - Ive got 2 filters causing surface agitation, and bubbles going 24hrs a day too so I think it should be ok, but will do a test later to check.

I have put some Interpet anti bacterial stuff in just in case the guppies have introduced anything, but other than that I cant think of anything. As I say the only thing of note is that one of the cherry barbs had a grey patch of scales on its head but whether thats important or even relevant I dont know.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:22 am

How old are all the fish, Diana? I'm wondering if it's just a natural thing...pity about the BN though. Sad
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:35 am

the patch vaguely sound like a fungal thing to me but if this was the cause - youfd have seen it on other fish.

Adding meds may or may not be a bright idea - tricky decision given you dont know the cause.

As Mary said - I think its just death was over zealous with the scythe and took a few out - and its a really bummer when that happens (i can sympathise from when the decor wiped out my tank)

anyway - if you want some new BN's I'll happpily keep one or two for you
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks Rich for the offer. I dont think I will add anything to the tank for a few weeks just in case anything further happens.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 am

The only reason I mentioned that is because I had a similar death fest a few months back and I just think it was their time...dunno
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 10:21 pm

I appreciate it Mary, and I do wonder if that is the case, although not all the fish were 'old'

Havent had any deaths for a few days now so hopefully things have settled down and in a few weeks I will have the joy of restocking Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mega Tank Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mega Tank Problems   Mega Tank Problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mega Tank Problems
Page 1 of 1