Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fishless Cycling

Go down 
+4
Rich
dekker
Fishfan
SallyElizabeth
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SallyElizabeth

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-12-28

fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:18 am

Yeah althought i think i was under the impression that not very many fry would survive, maybe i'm wrong.

I wanted to get some balloon rams too but too sure if they will be suitable for my tank, any advice on this?

And diana my nitrates are throught the roof (dark pink/purple colour) but they are refusing to go down. For about 2 weeks now its been the same, ammonia decreases back down to zero each day and the nitrites dont move, nitrate has remained at 50 for about a week now. Not quite sure whats going on but i am trying to be patient Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:33 am

Its a good sign really that your nitrates are so high. If I remember you have had the nitrite spike havent you so are dosing the ammonia up to just 2-3ppm every day.

Dont know much about balloon rams to be honest other than the fact they can be territorial and aggressive (like most cichlids)
Back to top Go down
SallyElizabeth

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:38 am

Yeah i am dosing the ammonia to 3ppm each day. Just crossing my fingers each day waiting for it drop.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 7:44 am

It is a bit like watching paint dry when you get to that stage sally Smile
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 am

Many 'balloon' morphs are man made thru inbreeding - so if your prepared and or happy with the ethics of it - then cool - as long as the morphs dont harm the fish (as is the case with parrot cichlids)

hybrids n morhs are a hot topic - as many fish in the lfs are unnatural - but what im getting too is that the health and welfare of the fish should be priority.

I have a pair of dwarf Cockatoo cichlids in the same size (in fact model) tank as yours and they are fine - they can be a little bolshy on some days but generally dont do any actual harm (just a threat charge or a quick nip if that failed)

There are many small species of cichlid to be found - BUT I suggest doing homework - often it isnt the physical size of the fish that sictates if its ok in your tank (it is a factor tho) its often their natural territorial behavior - ie theoretically Kribs (Kribensis) should be ok in your tank - but they are unwelcoming to ANY intruders on their patch - I had to put my pair in the 185ltr tank in the end to stop them constantly having a go - and if you want an example of their aggression - they regularly drive my 8-9" male bristlenose from his favourite cave (even tho they have their own Very Happy)

So check what sort of size the cichlid grow and its behaviour - they often do better in pairs as well (tend to sulk on their own) but a pair will want to establish a territory

Cichlids are great characters tho Wink (think mini-oscar Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
SallyElizabeth

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:46 am

fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 510692 fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 510692 fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 510692 fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 510692 fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 510692 fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 510692 fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 510692 fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 510692

THE NITRITES HAVE DROPPPPEEEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My family think i'm mad i just ran round the house with my test results LOL

Thought i'd share the good news with you all

And also say a BIG fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 600745 for all your help and advice whilst i have been setting up my tank Smile

The Nitrite results arent completly zero but i'm guessing that tomorrow they will be, they are at about 0.1 now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 7:04 am

fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_cheers

well done great feeling isant it I Think lol

but I cheated with my cycle (naughty) fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 7:40 am

Oh thats great news!! Nearly finished now then.

The things we get excited over fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 654674
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:09 pm

Just been reading this thread. Can you do the fishless cycle without the ammonia? I didn't realise I'd have to do that. I don't have a testing kit either but I've just ordered one so hopefully it'll arrive next week some time. Money's a bit tight for me. I guess I should've thought about that! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Ammonia is the best way because you can control exactly how much you are putting in the tank down to the odd drop.

Some people cycle using a dollop of fish food and just leave it in the tank to decay, or put some prawns in and let them decay - both of these produce ammonia but are more hit and miss because you have to wait for the food or prawns to decay and see how much ammonia they produce.

Some also believe that you can just wee into the tank, but I believe that is an old wives tale fortunately!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 12:53 am

H2O wrote:
Just been reading this thread. Can you do the fishless cycle without the ammonia? I didn't realise I'd have to do that. I don't have a testing kit either but I've just ordered one so hopefully it'll arrive next week some time. Money's a bit tight for me. I guess I should've thought about that!

Unfortunately not H2O, as pure ammonia is the best substitute for fish waste. Now Gertie might recommend peeing in the tank...laughing ...but it's far better to use the ammonia. Something like Kleen-Off is ideal but those that did the fishless cycle will be able to advise as to where they sourced it from. Smile
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 6:56 am

Thanks Mary. I don't think I'd be able to balance that well without falling in the tank so I'll go for the ammonia then. laughing

Will I get that in the fish shop?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 am

They dont sell it unfortunately - but try Boots or Homebase, or ebay usually have some too
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:05 am

Thanks Diana. thanks
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:09 am

No probs. Just had a look on ebay and this one might be ok

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kleen-Off-Ammonia-Degreases-Removes-Stains-500ml_W0QQitemZ370346459177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA?hash=item563a5e8029

Just remember when you get it NOT to smell it - it will rot the insides of your nose!! fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks again Diana. Now I know what I'm looking for. Will that not kill my plants? confused
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:15 am

P.s. I will smell it. I know I will. crazy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:16 am

Well you have been warned fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:20 am

Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 6:50 am

it might slightly harm one or two planys but generally theyll be ok

i did my main tank with fishless cycle and bottled ammonia and no harm done to plants although it is said that plants slow down the cycle a little
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
H2O
H2O

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks folks. I tried Boots and several other chemists but they just looked at me strangely when I asked. No However, I managed to pick up a bottle in that fab shop at the top of Easter Road. You know the one? No? Cool

Anyways. I haven't received my flippin' test kit yet so I've just this minute fired off an email to netpetshop to ask where it is. So I haven't even started yet!!

Any more ways. I've been thinking (stand back!!). Y'see when I do a water change? Well, how do I get the temperature in the bucket of water to be the same as the tank, or do I just bung it in at room temp? I'm getting really hacked off with this waiting. The plants are like Triffids but I can't start the fishless cycle til I get the test kit and they've already taken my dosh but not delivered. banghead
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 10:58 am

I use 10L buckets to change the water in my tank and usually add one kettleful of boiling water to each bucket of cold water. Some people just use mixer taps for lukewarm water but I'm extra cautious, I guess. Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm

If you cant wait to get started and dont want to overdose the tank with ammonia, then just get a small handful of fish flakes, put them in a sock or the foot of a pair of tights and suspend that in the tank. It will start to decompose slowly, getting some ammonia into the system, and then you can check it when your test kit comes.

When you are all ready, the just remove the sock and slowly add bits of ammonia to bring your reading up to 4-5.

As for water changes, I use a very scientific method to make sure the temp is the same.

I turn on the cold tap, turn on the hot tap, fill a bucket and stick my finger in. If it feels the same temp as the water I took out of the tank, fine, if not I add a bit more hot/cold as needed.. fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:46 pm

See you use the same scientifically thought out method as me FF Smile
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 6:34 am

H2O wrote:
Thanks folks. I tried Boots and several other chemists but
Quote :
they just looked at me strangely
when I asked. No However, I managed to pick up a bottle in that fab shop at the top of Easter Road. You know the one? No? Cool

Anyways. I haven't received my flippin' test kit yet so I've just this minute fired off an email to netpetshop to ask where it is. So I haven't even started yet!!

Any more ways. I've been thinking (stand back!!). Y'see when I do a water change? Well, how do I get the temperature in the bucket of water to be the same as the tank, or do I just bung it in at room temp? I'm getting really hacked off with this waiting. The plants are like Triffids but I can't start the fishless cycle til I get the test kit and they've already taken my dosh but not delivered. banghead

Someone else knows you then.

What shop you on about at the top of Easter Road then........jeeez H20, thats 20/20 optition no wonder they looked at you in a strange way........... fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 13213 fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 13213
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fishless Cycling   fishless - Fishless Cycling - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fishless Cycling
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next