Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Empty
PostSubject: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am

Before you even look at oscars, you need to have a good tank setup for them. This involves getting a tank that is the right size and one that has good filtration. Having the wrong tank for your fish can lead to illness and will cost you more in the long run. It's best to have your main tank ready before you choose your oscar. They can quickly outgrow “starter” tanks, so start with a full sized tank.

Many oscar experts disagree about the minimum tank size needed for these fish. However, most agree that 55 gallons is the bare minimum you should consider. This size is good for a young oscar, but as they grow they might need a bigger tank so they can more easily move around. Assuming you only plan on keeping an oscar and no other fish, a 75 gallon tank is comfortable for them.

If you plan on having a mated pair of oscars or plan on introducing your fish to other tank mates, you'll want a bigger tank. A good size is 125 gallons or more. This may seem like a large tank, but it is necessary for the health of your fish. If you can't afford a large tank and the upkeep it requires, consider buying a different fish. Convict cichlids can be just as fun as oscars, but are a smaller species.

Tank setup is important. First, you'll need to find a good place for your aquarium. Keep in mind that the tanks will be extremely heavy when filled with water (larger tanks can weigh half a ton). When you set up your tank, make sure it is level. If it isn't, it could end up with cracked seals or panels.

Other than tank size, the most important issue is proper filtration. If you've never had an oscar before, you'll be surprised with how messy these fish can be. There are different ways that filters work, such as mechanical, biological, and chemical. Your filtration system should have all of these components

Mechanical filtration is made up of wool or sponge that traps large particles like food and sediment. The biological filter will be a sponge that has friendly bacteria that changes feed waste into nitrate. The chemical filtration is usually charcoal and helps remove medication and odor.

A filter that is outside the tank, preferably a canister or overflow system with a power head is the best for an oscar fish tank. Even though your filter will keep your tank clean, you'll still need to change about a quarter of the water every week to keep your fish healthy and happy.

Another thing you'll have to buy for your fish tank is a heater. The ideal temperature for an oscar is 77 degrees Faranheit. You'll want to check the temperature daily to make sure the heater doesn't break or malfunction.
Having a properly cared for fish tank is the number one thing you can do to ensure your oscar's health.

Thought I would put this write up on Oscars
(Follow up to Rich's post in Plec's)
as when I got mine he was 3 inch and growing a inch a month
he is now nearly 8 inch .... and 3 tanks later starting off in a 3ft ;O(
pic below is not my Oscar.it is just to show you the size your little fish may reach.

THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? 2lxc9xe
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:28 am

I hope you don't mind, chez. I broke it up into paragraphs to make it easier to read. Great post. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:40 am

sorry mary copied and posted...
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:11 am

THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? 29376 and good post... is this monster fish day? lol!
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:15 am

P.S I saw 2 about 10-12" Oscars in an aquarium shop in Manchester (not a fish shop, though they did stock a few fish to show off the aquariums) stuck in a 4ft tank max 200l I'd guess - their heads were pitted with holes Sad Very sad.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 am

Elvis is 8" now!!! Wow - he;s shooting up isn't he? He'll be in long pants soon Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:54 am

great post chez

dekker
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:59 am

pinched it...
Evil or Very Mad
but if it helps future oscar lovers
letting them know about them. I guess they wont mind.
afterall we all have our fishes best interest at heart don't we
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 1:01 am

thats right our fish are the most important thing.

dekker
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: tank   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:11 am

I now have 2 Oscars, i will be getting a 100GL tank for them,as chez said a 125GL would be good four them,but after looking at about 7 Oscar forums,and asking questions from Oscar keepers,i was told that a 100GL tank is fine as long as u get a fluval x5 external filter for the tank,i will be running a fluval x5 ext and a fluval u4 internal filter i think that will be more than enough,wave
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:28 am

There should be a rule that the forum members can't have bigger tanks than the Admin... tantrum
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:34 am

I will soon have a bigg er fish as well.hahaha
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:45 am

acer wrote:
I will soon have a bigg er fish as well

Suspect Razz
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:46 pm

nice one acer looking forward to pics

dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???   THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THINKING OF GETTING A OSCAR.???
Page 1 of 1