Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread

Go down 
+4
Rich
jkhsquonk
Mary
The Terror
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
The Terror

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-01-11

cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:17 am

I'm using the Nutrafin essential mini mastr test kit. The results were matching the coulour charts for all tests at first.

I've done a nitrite test and again it is showing just traces of colour - nothing from the card. More worryingly I decided to check the Ph and it is 5! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:14 am

To be honest - the colour of the Nitrite reading isnt critical - a rough guestimate is fine - with fish zero and only zero is ever acceptable (if you want to see what zero for any of these kits looks like - test some bottled water Wink)

For the cycle - deep purple (stop singing diana Very Happy) is enough of an indicator for you to know you hit the peak and can reduce the ammonia by about 50%

Hope this helps Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:20 am

Have you done a tap water test at all? Take a cup of tap water, leave it over night and then test and see what pH you get.

At this stage of the cycle there is no need to worry about the pH - it will be up and down until the cycle has finished and then it will settle down.

As for the testing. From what you are saying, you were able to detect nitrite on testing but now you are getting a 0 reading - is that right? Also, what was the Ammonia reading before you added 5ml and bought the level back up to 5ppm?
Back to top Go down
The Terror

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:44 am

Hi Diana, The reading for the last few days:
DateTempPhAmmonia
NH3/4
Nitrites
NO2
Nitrates
NO3
Ammonia
added
28-Jan27xx11.6xx5
29-Jan26xx0.21.6xx10
30-Jan26xx51.6xx0
31-Jan27xx2.50.5xx5
01-Feb27xx41xx0
02-Feb27xx1tracexx5
03-Feb2755tracetrace
Basically the Nitrite readings from 2/2 were not recognisable on the chart, as is todays Nitirite and Nitrates - before that, no problem. Perhaps they are just at low levels, but they are not clear so I can't assume that they are zero. Perhaps I should take a sample to the fish shop tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 am

pH is easily altered to suit (if necessary) anyway - but some decor (namely bogwoods nad some shells/rocks/substrates) can altyer the pH a little as well

As said - dont waste money and time on testing pH during the cycle - knowing the pH of your water (from the tap) is a useful guide for the approximate normal pH of your tank (assuming you dont use RO water Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:32 am

The Terror wrote:
Hi Diana, The reading for the last few days:
DateTempPhAmmonia
NH3/4
Nitrites
NO2
Nitrates
NO3
Ammonia
added
28-Jan27xx11.6xx5
29-Jan26xx0.21.6xx10
30-Jan26xx51.6xx0
31-Jan27xx2.50.5xx5
01-Feb27xx41xx0
02-Feb27xx1tracexx5
03-Feb2755tracetrace

Basically the Nitrite readings from 2/2 were not recognisable on the chart, as is todays Nitirite and Nitrates - before that, no problem. Perhaps they are just at low levels, but they are not clear so I can't assume that they are zero. Perhaps I should take a sample to the fish shop tomorrow.

It would at least give you an idea on whether your readings were accurate. As mentioned earlier, get them to write down the results for you - they will probably think the fishless cycle is a waste of time anyway - and ask what testing kit they are using. Hopefully they will use a decent one and then you will know what is goint on.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:32 am

Wouldnt a zero Nitrite mean you have had the spike and it's now all being converted to Nitrate? Thats just a question btw, I dont know enough to give advice Smile
Back to top Go down
The Terror

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:41 am

Very Happy God news Very Happy The nice chap at the shop tells me that the Nitrate and Nitrite readings are off the scale - which probably explains why my kit collapses and dies (I did notice that both tests go through the right colours on their way to expiring - so it makes sense). Ammonia down to two, which is where I believe it should be maintained until the 'Nites' both hit zero. Ph is still 5 (so what) and my tap water is a straight 7. Very Happy

Took the opportunity to look at fishies. I love the rasboras, perhaps a Clown Plec and 3 small corys as well. I'm also going to have a look on the site for anything on shrimps. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 3:42 am

Great news TT, you're right, keep the ammonia at 2ppm now & wait for the nitrItes to drop back to zero. The nitrAtes will only drop if you dilute them, hence the 80% water change on fish day! Regular water changes will then keep the nA to around 10-20ppm Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Hiya TT - time for another update I think. How are yoiu doing, got any fish yet??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:20 am

He's given up in despair at not being able to decipher the colours on the chart Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Terror

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 1:11 am

Hi All,
No, I'm still here wave , I've just been away for the weekend. Nitrites are dropping steadily (down to 0.3 now that they are back on the scale again I can read them properly). Keeping the ammonia around two. Not long now, possibly even this week and yes, I am getting quite excited..
Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:22 am

Have you decided yet what fish you are going to get?
Back to top Go down
The Terror

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:56 am

Hi Diana,
I'm veering towards rasboras, perhaps a Clown Plec and 3 small corys as well (the shop man seems to think that this lot would be fine). I quite like the idea of geting a few shrimps as well.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:36 pm

hi terror

when you get your fish would be nice to see some pics plz.

dekker
Back to top Go down
The Terror

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 12:47 am

Aha! Nitrites nil, but so now so is the ammonia. I plan to get fish tomorrow so hope I've got this right:
a) another drop of Ammonia today and
b) 80% water change today,
c) get fish tomorrow lunchtime.
Ph is still 5, but assume that the water change will sort that out.
Sounds like a plan!
Camera is poised!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 1:52 am

If I were you I would add ammonia as usual today, and then, before you get your fish tomorrow, test the water again to make sure there hasnt been a blip, then do water change and go and get your fish. Adding ammonia and leaving the water change till tomorrow will make sure the bacteria dont start to die off.

Loook forward to seeing your fish Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 2:49 am

Well done T.
waiting for pic's Smile fish
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:40 am

Great news TT yay When it drops, it drops fast, lol.

Yeyyyyy fishie time
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:51 am

yay

Well done TT, look forward to hearing what fish you end up with Smile
Back to top Go down
The Terror

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 1:48 am

fish The man in shop was a bit nervous about selling fish so soon after an 80% water change, suggesting that the volume of fresh (treated) tap water would naturally clear my readings. Sounds like a reasonablel argument, however, the Nitrites and Ammonia were zero just before the change and PH(5). Five hours after change Ph(7), Ammonia(0), Nitrites(0), Nitrates(7). Temp up to 23-24.

I decided to go with a few harlequin rasboras to start and will add some more on friday if they look happy. Have you seen the price of shrimps!
thanks I suspect I would not have got this far without all your help and good will. Pics will be posted in the proper place and I hope my experieces over the past weeks can be put to good use by future new members.
Thanks again everyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 am

WELL DONE YOU........fishy time.. fish

your NitrAtes will go when you do the big water change

the L.F.S will say this...........
if you set up a tank and take some water without cycling they will say its fine all 0
well it would be wouldn't it since theres nothing in there.
these fish l.f.s.shops makes me sooooooooo mad.
mines the same, i was in there saturday getting some algie wafers for E. when a couple came in holding there bottle of water, i hovered round while he tested it
to see the outcome.... mmm guess what P.H normal Ammonia Normal scratch
well it would be wouldnt it with nothing in there.

wait for this ..................
when i set up i was told to put a frozen prawn in there.lol
leave it for a week and all will be fine.

my l.f.s. said its a load of poo doing the fishless cycle.. Mad
at first said never heard of it.when i explained you put Ammonia in he nearly had a dicky fit..lol
they are there to make money so your fish die what do you do go back and buy more

if in doubt get a squeezing of a mates mature media, i did
if your l.f.s was so concerned they could have offered you some squeezing.
but they sold you the fish? Yes...

just keep check on your ammonia

LOL....... I have edited this post loads of times now.
There is Nothing in the water .........................
its in your media..................
tell him that.lol
you can change almost all of the tank water it wont hurt.
as long as the filter stays put...........................
and the water temp matches the tank.and is treated of course.........

remember when i moved E in to his big tank
all the water was clean treated from the tap/kettle
i just put the old media in the new filter box.
got tank to temp... then put E in...

ANYWAY WE WANT PIC'S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! snaps
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:20 am

The Terror wrote:
fish The man in shop was a bit nervous about selling fish so soon after an 80% water change, suggesting that the volume of fresh (treated) tap water would naturally clear my readings. Sounds like a reasonablel argument, however, the Nitrites and Ammonia were zero just before the change and PH(5). Five hours after change Ph(7), Ammonia(0), Nitrites(0), Nitrates(7). Temp up to 23-24.

I decided to go with a few harlequin rasboras to start and will add some more on friday if they look happy. Have you seen the price of shrimps!
thanks I suspect I would not have got this far without all your help and good will. Pics will be posted in the proper place and I hope my experieces over the past weeks can be put to good use by future new members.
Thanks again everyone.

The man in the shop probably has never done a fishless cycle in his life and is quite happy to sell fish to people who have just added water to the tsank and done nothing else!! Evil or Very Mad

I am glad you have some fish in there now, but you might have problems now when you go and add more fish. You have been adding huge amounts of ammonia to your tank tyo build up a good colony of bacteria - far more bacteria than would ever be needed by a normal bio load of fish - this is what allows you to fully stock your tank immediately rather in dribs and drabs.

Because you have only bought a few fish, the bacteria levels will die back, so that there are just enough to deal with the waste they are producing. You then go and add more fish, but there is not enough bacteria in your filter to deal with the extra waste being produced. That can lead to a build up of ammonia in your tank water, and ultimately damage and illness to your fish.

You will have to do daily water tests for a while and be prepaeed to do frequent water changes if there is any sign of any ammonia or nitrites in the water.
Back to top Go down
The Terror

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:35 am

What if I get some more tomorrow? These chaps look very happy and have fed eagerly.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:46 am

That would be better, but I would still keep an eye on the water stats for a few days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread   cycle - The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Terror Fishless Cycle Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next