Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2 big big lots of news today!!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

2 big big lots of news today!!!! Empty
PostSubject: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 5:40 pm

firstly id like to anounce my newest addition: name suggestions are welcomed....

2 big big lots of news today!!!! 4410

2 big big lots of news today!!!! 4610

second: gary you were right about my sevs they have paired off. so i had to run out and do some shopping for my tank to set up some teritory boundarys, because at first they had claimed the centre piece of the tank and were chasing all the fish around away from the centre.
so after a few pots and river rocks added they seem to have claimed themselves a corner and are leaving the rest alone.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Thats a lovely looking fish bg, I'll leave the names for someone else as Mr. Pleccy for my bn is about my limit Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 3:51 am

photos arent loading properly for me gary, but as for names, are we looking at boys names or girls names?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:41 am

oscars can't be sexed untill they spawn. my oscar and severum tried to spawn so that's how i found out.

how about frank, humphry, deidre or wilma.

sorry i like calling my fish weird names.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:44 am

well I like wilma, but as I cant see the photo's it's hard to know if it suits her/him! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:58 am

photos are working grand for me.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 5:20 am

ok for me too - that looks like a stewie to me (like the baby in Family Guy!) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 9:28 am

Nice fish. Doesn't look like a Wilma though - more of a Fred... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 7:03 pm

ok after a day of thought....
i now dub thy oscar: THE FONZ!
BUT!!!!!!.....
fred and wilma came in second for my 2 green sev couple
and my red horse face gets: mr ed
hmmmmmmm.
bit of a theam going (i must watch too much tv)
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 7:48 pm

great names bg - I used to love Mr Ed, I wonder why they have never shown any repeats of that laughing
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 8:50 pm

im showing my age when i say i was in nappies when repeats of
mr ed were on tv!

by the way what would i be looking for when my sevs are actualy spawning?
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 pm

I was reading about this online the other day (I know.....I need to get a life!!), but apparently it's quite a performance. I can't find the link for you at the moment but I will look again later and let you know.

From what I remember though, they do something called 'lip locking' which is apparently done to see if they are both strong enough to be parents. They hang onto each others lips for about half an hour or so and can injure themselves so you have to keep an eye on them.

They dig holes where the eggs are going to be laid. Thats all I can remember, but hopefully Munchy will come on soon and let you know. Oh, and I think you had to increase the water temp a bit too.

Sorry I cant remember more but I will try and find the site I was reading and let you know.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 5:56 am

Some website wrote:
Breeding. Lip-locking and tail-slapping (typical cichlid pairing egg behaviors) precede their actual spawning. Severums like round or flat rocks to spawn on as opposed to digging pits in the gravel. Give them some hefty rocks or some chunks of wood to spawn on.

A vid
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Couldn't they just do a bit of fishy arm wrestling? That looks like a blue movie - not that I have ever seen one I hasten to add! eyebrows
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:45 pm

No tongues now!! laughing
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 11:00 pm

well i thought id update you all on the so called breeding pair of sevs.
i havent caught any lip locking.
BUT!
definate tail slapping, cleaning of their area and "dancing"/showing off to eachother
they will not let any of the other fish near them.
but no eggs yet but it looks close to it.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 3:13 am

Sounds like they are setting up house together then bg!! Once they have the decorating done they might settle down to'other things' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 big big lots of news today!!!!   2 big big lots of news today!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 big big lots of news today!!!!
Page 1 of 1