Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Learnt something new about Corydoras today

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Learnt something new about Corydoras today Empty
PostSubject: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 4:06 am

Today i bought a spotted corydoras and was advised not to transfer it straight into the tank with the water (which I don't normally do anyway) as apparently corydoras can release a poison when they feel threatened. Apparently they do this in the wild when threatened by predetors.
Just wondered if anyone else had heard about this?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 6:01 am

Hi john. I think some species of cory do have this ability - they squirt put small amounts of some sort of chemical which can cause irritation if you handle them with your bare hands. It's also said to put off bigger fsh from eating because it stings them but I dont think it does any long term harm so I guess it's quite handy Very Happy

As for putting your new corys into the tank - it's best to keep them in a seperate tank for a month anyway in case they are carrying ich or somne such that they can carry into your tank. I dont know if it will be of any value to do that as far as the potential poison squirting goes though - if they are going to be stressed by going into your main tank, it will happen whether you add them on day one or thirty one dunno
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 9:02 am

Unfortunatly I don't have another tank at the moment at the moment Embarassed.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 9:20 am

Not to worry then, I am sure any fish that are foolish enough to fancy a cory snack will soon get the messege - if they are one of the ones with a sting anyway Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 8:32 pm

I was looking at some corydoras the other day in the local fish shop, I think they were called panda corys and were just lovely. I wouldnt mind getting some of them when I eventually can get fish.

Do they need any special care or can any old idiot kkeep them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 8:59 am

evie123 wrote:
Do they need any special care or can any old idiot keep them

Well Diana has them so I guess that answers your question! hahaha

P.S. Sorry Diana, couldn't resist! laughing
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 9:37 am

Shocked

I am shocked and horrified!!!

Well two of mine have died so what does that tell you? laughing
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 10:25 am

Diana wrote:
Well two of mine have died so what does that tell you?

That your track record is better than mine... crazy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 7:43 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learnt something new about Corydoras today   Learnt something new about Corydoras today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Learnt something new about Corydoras today
Page 1 of 1