Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

weird test results

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 5:18 am

I have just been testing the water in my tank for various things and am amazed at just how different they are.. I have the TetraTest Laborett liquid test kit, and got these readings -

kh - 4
gh - 9
ph - 7.0
co2 - 13 (ok for my readings)

The last time I checked the water with this kit the ph was 7.5 so this was quite a change. I thought the ph was a bit low so checked it on my API Masterkit -

ph lower - 7.6
ph higher - between 7.4 and 7.8

It seems that I can pick any ph of my choice!! I am not sure now what reading I should take as Gospel and whether my ph is getting a bit dangerous, especially as I have had a couple of cory's die over the last few days Crying or Very sad

What test kits do you all use and have you ever had this sort of difference in your readings? I am not sure which one to go by now. I'm going to leave some tapwater overnight and do a test tomorrow just for interest.

I would appreciate some advice please Smile
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 6:16 am

Well I always go by the API test kit as I've found it to be the most accurate. I did have the Nutrafin one before and there was too wide a scale in the results. Your pH results for the API test seem to correspond though in that a pH of 7.6 is between 7.4 and 7.8...so I would take that as the accurate one. Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 6:45 am

Thanks Mary, I dont have to rush out and buy the Sod Bicarb yet then! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:29 am

Well with a KH of only 4, I'd still be inclined to do a weekly test. The KH in my goldfish tank was zero when I tested it on Friday... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:02 pm

Sometimes I wonder if it's better to liv in blissful ignorance help
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 7:24 pm

indeed DIana, I use the API test kit. My PH has stayed stable however I havent tested my water for probs over 1 month.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:54 am

It's always worth testing the water every now and then, GD 'coz even in a fully cycled mature tank - things can sometimes go awry... affraid
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:11 pm

how often do you test your tanks Mary - do you still do them every week like a newbie Very Happy

Ive got into the probably bad habit of checking about once a month but am thiking that I need to get my act together and do them at least twice a month if not more. What's the acceptable norm do you know?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 am

I usually only check the ammonia, nitrite etc. if a fish dies. But I test the KH every week because I have very soft water and the KH drops every so often, requiring the addition of sodium bicarbonate to keep the pH stable. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

weird test results Empty
PostSubject: Re: weird test results   weird test results Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

weird test results
Page 1 of 1