Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bigger tank advice

Go down 
+3
Diana
phishy07
GeordieDave
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 4:08 am

Hello again, how are you all? I'm back with a few more questions seeing as you were all so foolish to help me in the past :lol: .

My 60 litre tank is just about hunky-dory now, all settled, fish are fine (touching wood) and I have decided I would like to have a bigger tank, to make a bit of a display in the dinning room. I was thinking of something like a 2 - 300 litre tank pale ! I know Ive only been keeping fish a few months so dont know if this is a sensible idea or not.

Is there a lot more work to keeping a tank of this size?
What make of tank would you recommend?

I would like to keep fish that are a bit unusual - the cichlids section has me fascinated - the fish are so colourful, but I dont know if I have the knowldge or expertise for them. Are there idiot proof cichlids that might be suitable? If not what other type of fish would be ok to go for that would make a decent display in a tank that size??

Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 5:55 am

I always hear bigger tanks are better for beginners!

So I dont see why not..

Another member of the MTS btw Wink

Cichlids are lovely Fish....cant give you much for assistance im affraid as Im still a bit of a noobie too!
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 8:28 am

The bigger the tank the easier in my opinion! Ive been keeping fish for 11 months and have 4 tanks!! Its great, takes up a lot of time though!

But yeah...go for it!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 8:27 pm

See GD, I did tell you didnt I? Another one becomes afflicted by that terrible disease!

Go for it Noobs, it's a great idea. I would love a bigger tank, and just wish I had the room for it!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 8:27 am

In general, bigger tanks are easier to keep as the water chemistry tends to remain more stable in a larger body of water. Plus IME it's easier to do any cleaning/maintenance work as you have more room to manoeuvre. Wink

300L is a good size, noobs. Big enough to give you a good choice of species but not so big that the water changes take forever... :lol:
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:48 pm

300ltr Id love to have space for that

As said, the bigger the volume of water, the easier it is to balance the chemistry (an d more room for small errors)

Of course, you can increase the volume of water without increasing the tank size not thru the force or voodoo magic, simply thru a sump system as per marine keepers Wink

Ive seen a few tropical and cold fresh tanks with sumps and all are sparkly clean... im actuallt thinking of doing this myself Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 3:26 am

Go Bigger Go Bigger! I started last May with 1x100l tank and quickly got bitten by MTS and BTS (multi tank syndrome and bigger tank syndrome) The bigger tanks are definitely easier. My biggest 2 are 5ftx18"x18" (approx 330l) and 6ftx2ftx2ft (approx 680l) and both maintain stability much easier than even the 200l.

300l is a nice manageable size that also give a lot of scope for fish. If you want cichlids you could go with Firemouths, they would look good in that size tank and are not too aggressive (for cichlids!).

Other fish would be some of the larger gouramis - opaline, pearl, moonlight or something unusual like senegal bichir - perfectly safe to keep with other fish as long as they as bigger than about 2.5", and IMO tough as old boots.

Some bottomdwellers are always good and my choice would be plecs (what else) but if you are not keen on plecs then there are some nice loaches or catfish that would compliment any tank.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Hey noobs, did you get a bigger tank yet?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:54 am

hey Munchy! Sorry, I have been mad busy decorating and so didnt come on and bring you all up to date!

I am now the proud owner of a (second hand) Rena AquaLife tank which holds about 250litres> I managed to get it for £70 from a friend of a friend at work, so I am well pleased. I just had to get the living room decorated though before I got it all in place so it's still empty at the minute.

I am looking forward to getting it all sorted though and getting the fish in there, although I cant think what I want because I like so many. I love the cichlids that I have seen on here, I love the plecs, and I love the thought of having a good size shoal of harlies and cherry barbs too!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 7:05 am

Nice find, noobs. Good size too - bigger than my largest tank which is only 165L. Boo. - so you'll have plenty of choice. I recommend you put additional filter media in your current tank now to start it cycling for the new tank. Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:00 am

well done noobs. I would love another tank, and the problems it brings - all those fish to buy!!
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 7:41 pm

good purchase Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:09 pm

nice one noobs, you'll have fun stocking it, just ask lots of questions :lol:
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 7:05 am

Ive just seen one of these on ebay - its a nice looking tank - a corner one, is that right?

I dont havr an available corner in my room or I would have beren so tempted! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bigger tank advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger tank advice   Bigger tank advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bigger tank advice
Page 1 of 1