Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice please

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:05 am

Youve all been so helpful so heres another question for you.

I got my tank just before Christmas and you all know the problems I have had with it being really stinky and hopefully thats all sorted now. Thing I want to know now is, what do I need to do because I didnt cycle the tank at all - didnt know about all that stuff tbh and didnt really bother with testing the water at all but just changed it every week as recomended by the local fish shop.

Do I need to do anything different now or will the tank be cycled now. I'm just wondering as I have scrubbed everything and changed all the sand for new gravel if I am like starting from scratch again and if so what should I do?
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 am

Not sure Ant, as I'm a newbie at all this stuff myself, but I have read on here that the main number one thing in keeping fish well is keeping a check on the water, so I guess that getting yourself a kit and doing water tests might be an idea.
Back to top Go down

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:38 am

I think thats right - keep the water ok and it will keep problems down. it does no harm to keep a check on the water anyway so hey a kit and test daily for now, itll do no harm
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:43 am

It has probably gone through or is going through a cycle with the fish. You can't really do anything to stop it now. BUT check you water daily and keep up the WCs to keep water lovely. Post stats here if they look a bit weird and ASK QUESTIONS Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:47 am

Thanks Matty. I have read that the API is the best, id that what you would get?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:49 am

Yes.. the api master kit is a very good one, most commonly used here too i think Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:53 am

It's also a lot cheaper to buy the Master Kit as I discovered after I'd already forked out over €50 for all the individual test kits when the M.K. was about €35... banghead
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:56 am

Yup, go with API. I have nutrafin but dont like it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am

I started off with the Nutrafin ammonia kit but I think there's too large a measurement differential e.g. it told me my ammonia was zero when the API kit measured it as 0.5. Shocked
Back to top Go down

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:47 am

so should I check the water every day for a while?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:52 am

i would for a week or so, just to be on the safe side Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 1:13 am

Thanks everyone, I'll do all that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:43 am

Yep, test every day for a week and then once a week after that for a couple of months. Then, if any future problems occur, the first thing to do is test the water to rule out any water quality issues. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:44 am

What mary said! Always give water stats when asking questions! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice please
Page 1 of 1