Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sand substrate

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Sand substrate Empty
PostSubject: Sand substrate   Sand substrate Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 2:20 am

Hi All.

For my Killis Id like to add a sand substrate are these easy to add? can I add it by removing the fish and storing in a bucket for a while till the sand would be added. Does it take long to settle?

I know P@H sell some in a bag by a company called Roman. Any suggestions? I dont need a great deal but I am looking to add a few plants would sand be ok for this? Will it affect water quality?

Any suggestions which one to get? the base of my tank is 1ftx1ft its an Aquastart 320.

Atm I have some fine black gravel it was a bad decission makes the tank too dark imho.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Sand substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sand substrate   Sand substrate Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 2:44 am

Sand is good for plants as it allows good root penetration. There are different grades of sand, mine did take long to settle because it is quite coarse, but fine sands can stay suspended for longer. There are so many that you can get. SOme also promote plant growth. I am not great with sizes, but 5/6kg should be fine... IMO black sand is nice, brings out the colour of the fish. Very Happy

Last edited by Matty on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Sand substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sand substrate   Sand substrate Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 3:58 am

I used 4kg of the roman sand for the substrate in my 36x12x15 (inches) tank, this gave about 3/4 of an inch coverage so a similar ammount should give good coverage in a smaller tank. I wash it and add to the tank wet using a jug (or cup for smaller tank) that way it doesn't cloud and you don't need to remove fish Smile
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Sand substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sand substrate   Sand substrate Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:52 am

Well I was just gonna fill a 10L bucket and add fish to that with the filter and heater whilst I scoop the gravel out and replace. Just to cover myself incase it takes longer than I thought.

I want around an inch or more of covering
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sand substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sand substrate   Sand substrate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sand substrate
Page 1 of 1