Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bristlenose Plecs Advice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Bristlenose Plecs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Bristlenose Plecs Advice   Bristlenose Plecs Advice Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 7:05 am

I got a little Bn today - it's only small, about 1 inch long at the minute. It's really active in the tank and is just great, but I would like a bit of advice on feeding it.

The Sales Assistant said to give it just half a wafer once a week but that doesnt sound an awful lot. Is that the right amount and if not how many wafers and how often should i give it?

Also what is the best time to feed it? Its out in the tank at all times of the day (I thought they tended to be nocturnal) so should I feed it at day or night?

Also, how big do they grow to be, the SA just said they stay quite small but that could mean anything!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Plecs Advice   Bristlenose Plecs Advice Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 7:16 am

my bn get courgette i have 2 about an inch long have had them since feb i find them slow growing i usually feed all my fish about tea time the bn also have a go at prawns as well i think they get to about 5-6 inches if i got that wrong someone will let you know also you can give cucumber and wafers but its better for them to have fresh food
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Plecs Advice   Bristlenose Plecs Advice Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 9:07 am

If you overfeed a BN, it won't forage for algae. I feed mine an algae tab. twice a week and fresh veg. twice a week (on different days to the tabs). Smile
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Plecs Advice   Bristlenose Plecs Advice Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 2:01 am

Yep, definitely more than once a week! Mary is about spot on with about 4x weekly although for a very young one I'd feed 5x a week alternating algae wafer and courgette and a prawn once a week. Mine also get carnivore pellets now and then instead of the prawns.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Plecs Advice   Bristlenose Plecs Advice Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 7:49 am

Do you think BN's should always be given prawns then indi, not just veggies and wafers?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Plecs Advice   Bristlenose Plecs Advice Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 5:09 am

They are primarily veggie and certainly shouldn't have it very often on much of it but a bit of prawn once a week as a treat will not be a problem like it could be for some other plecs (panaque for example) As mine are breeders I feed prawn to maintain condition and because they do love it so it gives me a good opportunity to check them over when they come out for it.

They will live perfectly happily on veggies and wafers though.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Plecs Advice   Bristlenose Plecs Advice Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 3:26 am

Well, I have an LDA33 Snowall in with two BN's, mine dont go for prawns tbh, they do like the sinking general botto feeder pellets tho and hit the courgettes within seconds of delivery.

My male is 6" and the female about 3" both were the same size and bought together on same day just under a year ago. They both are quite unsociable now, but the courgette brings them out, funny tho both used to love cucumber but no longer go near it, but they do now go for romaine lettuce which they never used too.
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Plecs Advice   Bristlenose Plecs Advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bristlenose Plecs Advice
Page 1 of 1