Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Total noobie

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Total noobie Empty
PostSubject: Total noobie   Total noobie Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 am

Hiya. I really want to get into keeping tropical fish but have never kept any before. I dont even have a tank at the minute, and would like to kno what the best one is to get.

I have a wall that a tank can go on and have seen loads of all sorts of size and shapes but which is the best one to get?

My loocal pet shop has some about 60x30x30cm - is that about the right size for a beginner? What else do I need to think about when getting a tank and is there are that are better than others?

Sorry for all the questions and would really appreciate any help/advice, thanks
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Total noobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total noobie   Total noobie Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 12:55 am

Hiya rusty. Dont worry about asking loads of questions - we've all done the same in the past Very Happy .

Generally when buying a tank there are just a couple of things to think about - where are you going to put it and how much do you want to spend?

There is no right and wrong about the size of tank to get, although it is best to get the biggest tank you can afford to fit into your space and that you can afford. Get one with a lid and some lights. Many have filters built into the lid, but if the one you like doesn't don't worry, there are plenty of filters that you can get to put in any size tank.

When thinking of where to put it, remember that these are heavy bits of kit and so not easy to move about if you change your mind.
Back to top Go down

Total noobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total noobie   Total noobie Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:14 am

I have seen one that is 60x30x30 is that ok then?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Total noobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total noobie   Total noobie Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:23 am

That's ok rusty. As I said, it doesn't matter what size you get. You can get some fish that would be fine in a tank that size. Obviously the bigger the tank, the more variety and quantity of fish you can have.

Have a think of the space in your house, where you want the tank to go and measure the space you want it to fit in. Go and have another look in the local aquatic shops at the tanks availabkle that would fit in that space.

Then it's just a matter of your wallet, but go for the biggest one that you can afford for that space. Many people get a small tank to start because they are a bit nervous about having a big tank to take care of, and regret it later.

A bigger tank is easier to maintain in many ways because it is easier to maintain good water quality, so have a look, see what you like and dont hesitate to ask querstions again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Total noobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total noobie   Total noobie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Total noobie
Page 1 of 1