Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heater Failure

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 12:05 am

Well, I learned a lesson in complacency this morning...

Since, my tanks are now fairly mature and tootling along quite merrily (apart from the Bettas Crying or Very sad), I've become a bit complacent about checking them. But this morning, for whatever reason, I did - just a cursory glance to see that the filters and heaters were working in all of them.

To my surprise I noticed that the temperature of the 165L tank was only 23C even though the heater was set to 26C. I put the submersible digital thermometer into the tank to double check and it registered 23.2C. I tried twiddling the temperature adjustment knob on the heater but nothing happened. It appeared to be broken...cue panic! Shocked

I have a spare heater but that's only suitable for aquariums up to 60L but I stuck it in anyway as a temporary measure. Then I rang the guy in the local pet shop where I bought the tanks. Now if this isn't another lesson in the benefits of supporting the small local businessman. Even though I didn't have a receipt and couldn't remember when I'd bought the heater (I reckon about six months ago), he immediately offered me a free replacement and told me he'd send the dud one back to the manufacturer's.

Now it was a bit of a palaver getting the old one out as I had to siphon out two buckets of water before I was able to gingerly push the tank and stand forward a few cm to enable me to manoeuvre out the plug from the back of the cabinet. But I'm happy to say that the new heater is now installed and working fine and all is well again in my fishy world.

The moral of the story is to check the filters and heaters on a daily basis so that you pick up problems like this quickly. Wink
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 12:07 am

I laugh at Dave cos he checks temperatures everytime he walks past, wont be so hasty to now lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 12:09 am

There you go - better to be over-cautious then under-cautious as I found. Smile
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 12:10 am

sshhhhhhh, dont tell HIM that! lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 am

Oh God no, never let a man know you think he's right - you'll never hear the end of it...:lol:
Back to top Go down

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 12:58 am

It's sods law that if you take your eye off the ball for a minute, that's when something will happen.

Thanks for the reminder Mary Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 am

Thats true charley, I thought my tank was A OK, and firgot about the filter impellors - then they stopped working and I didnt notice! No harm done, but I make sure I keep a better check on things now.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:01 am

It's always good to check things! Glad you got that sorted out mary Smile
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:18 am

Matty wrote:
It's always good to check things! Glad you got that sorted out mary

Thanks Matty. I'm happy to report that the tank temp. is now a comfortable 25.6C. Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:21 am

My digital thermometer i got for £8 from aquatics online has an alarm, you just set your lowest & highest temp and if it goes above or below it bleeps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 am

Show off. Razz
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:49 am

lol!

you shouldn't of mentioned buying a heater the other day Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 am

I know! I tempted fate... crazy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 8:05 pm

munchycarrot wrote:
My digital thermometer i got for £8 from aquatics online has an alarm, you just set your lowest & highest temp and if it goes above or below it bleeps Very Happy

I'm getting me one of them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Matty wrote:
munchycarrot wrote:

I'm getting me one of them

Boys and their toys... No :lol:
Back to top Go down

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 1:06 am

Can you give us the make MC, I've had a look on there annd cant see one that has an alarm? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 10:42 pm

Back to top Go down

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 3:29 am

That looks good, wouldn't mind getting one of them myself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 8:40 am

Only 8 quid Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heater Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Failure   Heater Failure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heater Failure
Page 1 of 1