Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First post for saltys brave or stupid????

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Empty
PostSubject: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:46 am

Ok so I started my tank first week in Jan 08 and bought some live rock that was fantastic quality and my tank cycled in 11 days yay so I was ready for the next step a whole 3-4 weeks before expected!

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Marinefull

Then I got sand and it started to look like a tank

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Fulltankshot

and shortly followed clean up crew

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Marinesnail

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Shrimp2

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Shrimp

now some corals

trumpets

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Trumpet

hammer
First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Hammer

bush coral and star polyps
First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Bushandpolyplight

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Starpolyp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:49 am

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Closezoas

Now the fish

clowns

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Trumpets

yellow clown goby

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Clowngoby

And finally the full tank shot

First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Fullview

Thats it so far hope you all like it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:51 am

I also have a firefish but its to shy to get a pic yet and also too RUDDY quick lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:52 am

WOW!! Hope you dont minf but I've got loads of questions! What is 'live' rock as opposed to..........what?? scratch

What is the maintenance of the tank like - do you have to do water changes, test the water for ammonia etc like you do with a tropical tank?

Does the coral have to be attached to the rock in some way - like I have read about people having to tie plants onto wood or rocks?

Sorry for the questions and thanks for posting the pics.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 am

Lovely pics!! That tank is lovely and looks like it will mature nicely.

I used to clean out the marine displays at my LFS for a saturday job, it is a fascinating part of fishkeeping, but very different to FW i think. Very Happy I will let the pro answer charley's q's!
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:34 am

Hi Charley as I said before I am no "pro" yet its early days but I will do my best.

Live rock is well rock that has life on/in it like little critters eg I have a crab and several tiny starfish that in a way eat fish poo,the rock is really porous and this filters your water in a salt tank instead of a filter like in fresh water (although some people do still use filters).

Maintenance is quite high I test for all the same as tropical but also salinity daily and ph calcium and phosphate every few days. I have an ro unit this is the biggest pain as it takes ages to filter enough water for water changes. I do water changes weekly but when I get a skimmer I may drop this to every 2 weeks. My corals have come on some small bits of rock but I will get some aquarium putty that sticks them to rock and goes hard. There are many ways to run a marine tank its all about trying them out IME I did not think skimmers were needed in a tank ths size but now I have seen the scum on the top of the water I will get one. The best thing is to read and ask questions some answers you will think yeh that sounds good some you will think what are they on about and you will just do it your way. Hope that helps a little feel free to ask all you need.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:49 am

How big is the tank kelly? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:01 am

Hi Matty the tank is 21" cube holds 100L of water with rock and sand in. It has 2 powerheads that pump the water through 5000lph a 150w halide. It needs much more stuff yet like some moonlights, skimmer and loads more coral but a £30+ a pop its a slow process lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:06 am

Kelly, thanks a lot or all the explainations - it is such an interesting hobby this, I love reading all about the different aspects of it! Very Happy

Hope you dont mind me asking another question, but what is a skimmer and how does it work. You mention about the scum that it would remove (it should be called a scummer :lol: ), so is it a sort of filter?

Are you sorry you joined us now - we've plagued you with queries!!! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:24 am

That looks great, Kelly and lovely clear photos. I love those spindly shrimp, they're real characters. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:26 am

lol no its a great forum. You are right though it should be called a scummer hahaha it is a filter of sort. If you think of the sea and how white foam forms its the same as that air bubbles pull out the rubbish left on the tank that the rock cant deal with. Some people feel they are very important but others run a healthy tank without so again its a matter of your choice really. I cant comment yet as I have not got one. I am learning loads all the time in this great hobby stuff keeps growing on the rock and I have found loads of critters in the tank look up mantis shrimp on the net and see what I found in my tank! they are scary Shocked
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:38 am

kelly wrote:
Hi Matty the tank is 21" cube holds 100L of water with rock and sand in. It has 2 powerheads that pump the water through 5000lph a 150w halide. It needs much more stuff yet like some moonlights, skimmer and loads more coral but a £30+ a pop its a slow process lol

Quite a nice sized nano then. It will look stunning when you have filled it up. I have considered a nano many times but have decided not to at the mo!! Very Happy

EDIT: Found a definition of protein skimmer to add to kelly's description : A protein skimmer is perhaps the most important piece of hardware for the salt water tank. It is a filter used to remove organic impurities from the water. Water is sent through a fractionating column where many tiny air bubbles are pushed through it. The air bubbles generate "foam", which actually consists of organic impurities. The "foam" is channeled out of the device and is kept in a collection cup until it can be discarded. There are three main classes of skimmers: counter current, co-current and venturi. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks for that Matty much better than I could explain. Oh your so ready to get salty lol!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:28 am

Shocked !! Defector!!!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:11 am

kelly wrote:
Thanks for that Matty much better than I could explain. Oh your so ready to get salty lol!

I couldn't betray the freshies. (I might once i'm done with school though Very Happy Very Happy )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 8:19 am

Diana wrote:
Shocked !! Defector!!!

hahaha No I am a gemini split personality!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 8:21 am

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 2:58 am

Wow, nice marine tank the fish look really nice, I have never seen a setup from A house before Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am

stunning tank & fish kelly tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:18 am

nice to see some marine stuff on here, thanks a lot Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 11:15 am

aquanovice wrote:
Wow, nice marine tank the fish look really nice, I have never seen a setup from A house before Very Happy

Oh this is nothing some people have huge reef tanks they are something. Thanks for looking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 11:16 am

munchycarrot wrote:
stunning tank & fish kelly tongue

Thanks munchycarrot I spend all my time looking after them and all my money buying them lol

oh how do I multi quote on here?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 11:17 am

driver wrote:
nice to see some marine stuff on here, thanks a lot Very Happy

No problem hope we get some more on here or convert some freshies lol!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 11:00 pm

kelly wrote:
oh how do I multi quote on here?

I just use the quote brackety things which is [quote="username] [/quote] Just put inverted commas round their username. I didn't do it so you could see it

driver wrote:
No problem hope we get some more on here or convert some freshies

For example Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 3:40 am

I still dont understand how to do the multi-quote, so thanks for asking Kelly! I had been too Embarassed to keep asking questions!

Could someone explain it again please?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First post for saltys brave or stupid????   First post for saltys brave or stupid???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First post for saltys brave or stupid????
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next