Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's Up??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 3:06 am

Dont quite know if there is anything wrong or not tbh, but today I have found one of my favourite fish (female guppy that I've had since I first set up the tank) floating dead on the top of the tank. No marks on it at all but abdomen looked distended. I wouldn't worry about it usually - just one of those things - but now my female molly is behaving a bit weird.

She seems to be finding it hard to swim, and is hovering just above the heater. Her abdomen is a bit distended, opening and closing her mouth constantly, and just doesn't look right. Occassionally the male platty goes and nudges her and she hardly budges.

Did the usual water change yesterday, stats 0-0-10. Added to water dechlor, plant food and liquid co2.

It could all be coincidence but just though I'd get your views about whether I should do anything, especially as I had the exploding neon incident recently.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 5:53 am

Well my gut instinct (no pun intended Wink) would be that it is somehow linked to that "exploding neon". The distended abdomen suggests some sort of internal problem so it might be worthwhile quarantining the affected fish and treating them with something like Interpet No. 9. Although the fact that a couple of fish are affected suggests that there's a pathogen in the water so you might have to leave them in situ and dose the entire tank.

That said, IME moving affected fish to a Q tank only hastens their demise, probably the stress of the transfer in their weakened state. I usually do it anyway so as not to dose healthy fish with unnecessary medication. So it's six of one, half a dozen of the other as the saying goes...wonder where that one came from!

If the Interpet stuff doesn't work, then I would try a broad spectrum treatment like eSHa 2000 or Methylene Blue but run some carbon in the filter first to get rid of any traces of the previous meds. and it would also be advisable to carry out a large water change in between treatments. Good luck, Diana. My fingers are crossed for you and your fish. pale
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:00 am

If you can Q them that would be good. But like Mary said, it sounds internal like a parasite or something like that. Sounds like mary knows the meds though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:12 am

Matty wrote:
But like Mary said, it sounds internal like a parasite or something like that. Sounds like mary knows the meds though

Oh believe me I do. That said, the only thing I've ever successfully treated is Whitespot so it might just be a case of catching it early.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:14 am

Yeah i'm not very good at treating! Only pop eye ad whitespot!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:26 am

Thanks you two. I have got some Interpet stuff, so will start dosing the whole tank.

It was what I was considering, but just wanted another opinion in case I was over-reacting Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 7:32 am

Its good to be cautious Very Happy
Back to top Go down

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:27 am

Hope it all turns out ok Diana. Have to say though it is good to see one of the experts asking for advice - makes me feel less stupid! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:49 am

charley wrote:
Hope it all turns out ok Diana. Have to say though it is good to see one of the experts asking for advice - makes me feel less stupid! :lol:

Oh charley, I am 100 miles away from being an 'expert', just out of newbieism really! Dont ever feel stupid on here charley, we're ALL here to learn whatever we can Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:58 am

Diana wrote:
It was what I was considering, but just wanted another opinion in case I was over-reacting

Well with two dead fish already and one looking poorly, I'd say treating the tank is the best option. Hopefully they'll respond.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 am

Oh Diana... I missed this earlier. Sorry you're having problems, lets hope the meds get on top of it scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 9:53 pm

well all fish alive this morning, and the molly looks a wee bit better, swimming about a bit more. Started dosing the whole tank last night so hopefully if there is something going on it wont get any worse.
Back to top Go down

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 7:55 am

Glad things havent got any worse diana, hope it stays that way.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:24 am

Diana wrote:
well all fish alive this morning, and the molly looks a wee bit better, swimming about a bit more. Started dosing the whole tank last night so hopefully if there is something going on it wont get any worse.

Thats good to hear Very Happy Sounds like you are on the road to recovery Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What's Up?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Up??   What's Up?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's Up??
Page 1 of 1