Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats the best light for a refugium???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ILikeNemoEvenMore

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Whats the best light for a refugium??? Empty
PostSubject: Whats the best light for a refugium???   Whats the best light for a refugium??? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 4:48 am

Hey, im new to this whole tropical fishkeeping, but i just wanted some advice on what would be the best light for a refugium im planning to build? Could you please include the brand and etc please? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best light for a refugium???   Whats the best light for a refugium??? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 7:11 am

it depends on what you are using it for tbh

is this freshwater or marine

and then what you would be keeping in the refugium
Back to top Go down
ILikeNemoEvenMore

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best light for a refugium???   Whats the best light for a refugium??? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 am

Its for marine and i'm planning to keep macro-algae(not sure if i got the term right Razz ) in the refugium. I was also wondering whether that refugium mud or coral sand have any benefits? Thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best light for a refugium???   Whats the best light for a refugium??? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

Whats the best light for a refugium??? 3199 to TFF wave

Congrats. on having the longest member name - yet! Smile
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best light for a refugium???   Whats the best light for a refugium??? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:11 pm

ILikeNemoEvenMore wrote:
Its for marine and i'm planning to keep macro-algae(not sure if i got the term right Razz ) in the refugium. I was also wondering whether that refugium mud or coral sand have any benefits? Thank you Very Happy

you would be better off in the marine section tbh

right lighting for a refugium is any lighting that you want to use tbh from flourecent to house hold eco bulbs with a 6000k rating

do you have a sump at all

i have a sort of refugium in my sump for cheato (which is an algae) this controls nitrate and phostphate as well as the other nasties my sump is lit by a t5 compact light unit for small tanks about £5 on ebay

mud and sand this is a bit of a debated area

mud is supposed to add tarce minrals to the tank as well as denitrify the water

sand is used in this area more as a dsb (deep sand bed) which also denitrify the water

it is best to use live fine sand for this also

again with the sand and mud debate depending on which sand you go for both will release minrals back into the water

i think the mud / sand is a personal prefernce

lighting wise look for the highest rating you can fit or have room for

if you are going with a full seperate refugium then go for a tank with lighing included if you are using the sump you only need to light the area where the algae will be
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best light for a refugium???   Whats the best light for a refugium??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats the best light for a refugium???
Page 1 of 1