Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is this a problem?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:24 am

Hi everyone, sorry to load another problem onto you but I am unsure if I need to worry about this or not.

I have just noticed that one of the guppys has what looks like a swollen eye, it's so small though that I can't quite make it out properly but it's definately swollen.

Could it just have knocked it on something or is it linked to the problems with the tank? What do I do about it?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 am

Keep an eye on it Ant in case it develops into popeye or something. If you keep the water clean, it should heal itself but a course of Melafix probably wouldn't do any harm.
Back to top Go down

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 9:15 am

What about the green water problem Mary? I've had the tank wrapped up and lights off for a day and a half, have taken the wraps off today and it still looks a bit green

Will this make the problem worse? Should I change the water daily and what happens with the Melafix if I do that?
Back to top Go down

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 9:22 am

Hiya Ant, I'm not sure about this but I think you do the daily water changes and then re-dose with the Melafix.

I hope it all works out ok.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 10:33 am

As charley says Ant Very Happy . Well done charley :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:02 am

Just checking this on our Fish Diseases sheet, and there is some useful info on there about what other treatments you may have to use, as it does depend on whether you are sure of the cause of this or not.

I'd recommend you have a read of it and then decide what you think as far as treatment goes.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Ant,

If this is popeye, i have had it. It is disastrous but easy to sort out Very Happy You need to keep the water really CLEAN!! Lots of water changes and feed a little bit less to keep the water clear. Like everyone else said melafix will help as well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:19 am

sorry if this is a duplicate post but having probs with my internet tonight.

I've read the info on the disease sheet and it says to treat with melafix and primafix. I dont have primafix so should I wait till I get some or carry on treating with just melafix for now?

I have been doing daily water changes because I have had some ammonia in the tank. Do I carry on with that even when dosing with the two things?

The water is still green even with daily water changes - less than a few days ago but still there. Will the green make the eye worse or make any difference to what I have to treat it with?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 am

Ant, the main thing is to keep the water quality as good as you can, so carry on with water changes and don't forget to add dechlor. Dose with the melafix as needed.

When you can get the Pimafix and start adding that too.

How much ammonia do you have?

I am not sure about whether the algae will affect the eye, but doing the water changes will keep it from getting too bad.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:45 am

The Melafix is anti-bacterial and usually the first port of call, Ant. the Pimafix is anti-fungal and is a preventative in case of opportunistic fungal development. So keep adding the Melafix for the time being and just add the Pimafix when you have it. By the way, they both smell wonderful, I think. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a problem?   Is this a problem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this a problem?
Page 1 of 1