Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

White spots

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

White spots Empty
PostSubject: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 9:25 am

I have just noticed that one of my mollies has two small white spots on it. It is swimming ok, feeding ok, doesnt look sick or anything but I am worried it might be another problem.

I've had a load of problem with poor water and fish dying, is this something to do with that? What do I need to do if anything?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 9:42 am

What do the spots look like, jammy? If they're like grains of salt/sugar, then it's possible you might have an outbreak of whitespot. Do they look anything like the ones in this photo?

White spots Bettaich
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 am

Oh heck! Never mind jammy. Let us know what is looks like and your current water stats. Have a read too of the Fish Info section, and see if there's any info there that might be useful to you.

That's a good pic that Mary has put on as whitespot is described as being like little grains of sugar and you can see them clearly on that photo.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:10 pm

To add on to what Diana said, put the temp i the tank up a bit to about 30ish. This can slow down the parasites and stuff until we know what it is Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 pm

If it definitely is whitespot, jammy, and you'll soon know 'coz there'll be an increase in spots this morning then raising the tank temp to 29/30C and using a treatment such as Waterlife Protozin should clear it up for you. Smile
Back to top Go down

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:41 am

I'm not 100% sure Mary. There are two more spots today, but they look bigger than in that photo and just on one side. It seems ok, not ill or anything.

Should I treat it as whitespot anyway?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:44 am

Matty wrote:
put the temp i the tank up a bit to about 30ish. This can slow down the parasites and stuff until we know what it is Very Happy

Raising the temp will speed up the like cycle of the parasite & get it to 'free swimming' stage quicker. The meds only affect it when it is free swimming, thus making the process shorter & better for the fish fish

ps. that's if it is whitespot
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 am

Should I just leave it then and risk it getting worse or do something about it? If I need to get some meds I would like to know so I can nip to the pet shop and get some today.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:51 am

munchycarrot wrote:
Matty wrote:
put the temp i the tank up a bit to about 30ish. This can slow down the parasites and stuff until we know what it is Very Happy

Raising the temp will speed up the like cycle of the parasite & get it to 'free swimming' stage quicker. The meds only affect it when it is free swimming, thus making the process shorter & better for the fish fish

ps. that's if it is whitespot

I thought slow down didnt sound right! But deff bring up that temperature Very Happy

DOn't leave it! It's much better to treat it incase it is whitespot Smile Waterlife Protozin is the best i think.
Back to top Go down

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:53 am

Ok I'll nip out to the shops now - thanks everyone! Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:54 am

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:01 am

did you get some meds... if so, what sort?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Sponsored content

White spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: White spots   White spots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White spots
Page 1 of 1