Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sick Bristlenose?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Sick Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Sick Bristlenose?   Sick Bristlenose? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:11 am

I have a Bristlenose plec that has been ok since I got him, but I dont know if it is sick now. I have been giving him wafers twice a week but now he seems to ignore them and just let the other fish nibble at them!

It's been going on for about a week now and I am worried he might be getting hungry. If I just try him on something like cucumber which he usually loves, will he be ok or does he need to have wafers to provide all the nourishment he needs?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Sick Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Bristlenose?   Sick Bristlenose? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 4:04 am

Have you tried only putting the plc food in after the lights go out? The other fish in the tank will not go after them as much then and it may solve the problem.
Back to top Go down

Sick Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Bristlenose?   Sick Bristlenose? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 5:42 am

Yeah, I have done that but the otherfish still go down and mob the food. I wonder if he has just gone off them, or perhaps he's just not hungry??
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Sick Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Bristlenose?   Sick Bristlenose? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 6:46 am

Plecs are notoriously fussy eaters, charley so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I give mine algae tabs. twice a week and cucumber twice a week. The rest of the time they forage in the substrate. I've never heard of a fish intentionally starving itself so if you are worried, just add a variety of veg. (cucumber, courgette, potato etc.) and that should keep him happy. Smile
Back to top Go down

Sick Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Bristlenose?   Sick Bristlenose? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:21 am

Well, I haven't seen him today, he's staying in his little house, but I'll try him with a bit of corgette tonight and see what he does with that.

Thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down

Sick Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Bristlenose?   Sick Bristlenose? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 6:46 am

my midjet sukers luv a good old pea! sounds mad but they are incredibly easy to eat just rinse under water and shell it... see if that does the trick Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Sick Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Bristlenose?   Sick Bristlenose? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:54 am

well just to let you all know that he seems to be getting an appetite again Very Happy . I made a mush of peas, cucumber, a bit of garlic and mashed potato to hold it all together and put some of it in the tank last night at lights out.

The other fish did try and get it but either couldnt see it well enough or just didnt like it, but my little fella loved it! He appeared almost immediately from his little house, and started munching on it like a man posessed :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sick Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Bristlenose?   Sick Bristlenose? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sick Bristlenose?
Page 1 of 1