Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best tanks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Best tanks Empty
PostSubject: Best tanks   Best tanks Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 am

Can someone explain what the best type of tank is to get please. I know I have asked this before and thanks for all your help then, but my brother knows someone sho has a tank (dont know what size yet but he says not too big) but it has an undergraound filter?

I havent heard of this type of filter, are they any good and how do they work?
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Best tanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best tanks   Best tanks Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 am

the best tanks are arguably made of glass the rest is your preference ie bow's,corners,standard,hex

under ground filters were the thing to have back in the days but fundamentaly out dated with the cannisters and all
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Best tanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best tanks   Best tanks Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 3:53 am

I thinks also that people find they are a pain to keep clean, especially if you are having live plants etc.

I suppose you could always get this tank if it's what you want, and just not use the ug filter but use an internal one instead.
Back to top Go down

Best tanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best tanks   Best tanks Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 5:14 am

So if I got the tank but used a different filter does all sorts of muck get stuck in it or can it be taken out of the tank somehow. Sorry if these are really, really stupid questions but I dont know how ann ug filter fits into the tank or anythig.

The tank is about 2ft long my brother says so that would be ok to get for a first tank wouldnt it?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Best tanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best tanks   Best tanks Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 5:21 am

A UGF usually goes under the gravel (hence the name Smile) and basically consist of a plastic indented plate that provides a surface for bacteria to grow and have an outlet pipe attached to a spray bar so that a circular flow of water is created. As Diana pointed out, they are difficult to clean and, an added drawback is that, if for any reason the filtration system fails, as the filter bacteria die, you end up with a foul-smelling anoxic buildup.

My Q tank only came with a UGF and, although I do have it running, I also added a separate 'hang-on' internal filter that has a removeable filter sponge that I rinse every month. Most filters are set up in this way, cam and are much easier to clean and maintain.

When I no longer need the Q tank (I'm still stocking my tanks which is why I have it permanently running), I'm dreading having to clean out the UGF as I can only imagine the gucky mess that's built up in it, over the last six months or so.
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Best tanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best tanks   Best tanks Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 6:07 am

if it were me i would be looking into a 3ft tank to start if i was to do it all over as it is a good size for fish that you can get and in a 2ft you really are limited

also i would look into the filters side of things depending on what you want that is if you are going for say a 100l tank i would add a filter rated for a 200l just to keep the water nice

also the other thing is do you want to see the filter in the tank or not ? and if you go for an external then you might want to look at teh heaters that sit in the filter housing looks so much better and then you dont get fish burnt either Surprised

then you have the substrate too look at depending on what you want
Back to top Go down

Best tanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best tanks   Best tanks Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:49 pm

Thanks kbekl. there's so much I have to consider before I get my tank, I really want to do it right. I'm going to the lfs at the weekend to have a look at prices so I know how much I hav to get together.

I cant wait to have it all set up! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best tanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best tanks   Best tanks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best tanks
Page 1 of 1